Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2002 Prius at a Santa Anonymous auction. I trusted that the person who donated it was truthful, but understood that the car could have issues (In reality I was drunk and listening to the people at my table chanting "It's for the KIDS"). My first time driving it I noticed that it didn't go in reverse right away and there was a brake light on. I shut the car off and tried again. It seemed fine, brake light was off. I drove it home. The second time I drove it the brake light was on again and the car wouldn't get much past 15 MPH and would just rev up after that. The main battery is dead so it's just running on the engine. I parked the car and shut it off. When I restarted the brake light was off and it ran fine and drove up to 45 mph with no issues at all. About a mile later it came back on and the car wouldn't really go faster than 15-20 and would just rev up like the transmission was slipping. I don't know much about these but I do know they are not standard and the transmission is different. Any helps, tips, tricks would be great. I didn't pay much for this but was hoping to at least be able to drive it or donate it to someone else who may need a car. As it sits it's no use to anyone. Thank you to anyone willing to give advice.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,095 Posts
As far as I know so anyone can correct me on this
A Prius does not have a "transmission" because it is meant to mostly run on its battery. The motor will only turn on when the battery is low or when more power is needed. At most, it's a direct motor to electric motor connection so there is no need for a transmission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive#Transmission

1 - 2 of 2 Posts