Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Fulfilling a promise from a year ago Toyota has expanded the Prius badge into a brand, unveiling a family of vehicles at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Along with the third-gen Prius and Prius Plug-in Hybrid, is the Prius v (a mid-size hatchback/wagon) as well as the Prius c Concept, which takes badge down-market to a more affordable segment with even better fuel economy.

Set to go on sale this summer, the Prius v offers 60 percent more cargo room than the current Prius, but has roughly the same footprint. The ‘v' says Toyota, stands for versatility.

As for the all-important fuel economy numbers, the Prius v will get 42-mpg city and 38-mpg highway for a combined total of 40-mpg. Power will come from the same Hybrid Synergy Drive hybrid system as in the current Prius model with 134-hp.

One notable update to the information screen on the dash is the use of added colors. While seemingly a trivial change, the Prius uses a monotone pea-green display that's reminiscent of an '80s computer monitor.

As for the Prius c, it is very much a mild evolution of the FT-CH concept that debuted at the Detroit show last year. No details have been given, but Bob Carter, Toyota VP and General Manager, commented that it will get even better fuel economy than the Prius and that it will head to production, going on sale in the first half of 2012

More: Detroit 2011: Prius v Wagon, Prius c Concept Expand Prius Badge to a Four Car Brand on AutoGuide.com

More on the 2010 Detroit Auto Show on AutoGuide.com

·
Need For Speed
10,765 Posts
The only problem with naming the Prius V as such is that Prius V also stands for the trim level in the original Prius.

So which is it?
Prius V, which could be new new Prius "versatility"....or.....
Prius V, which is the highest option package you can get on the original Prius, which includes leather seating and gives you the option of Nav and the Advanced Technology Package.

Nice job, Toyota. :rolleyes:

·
Search Bar User
33 Posts
The only problem with naming the Prius V as such is that Prius V also stands for the trim level in the original Prius.

So which is it?
Prius V, which is the highest option package you can get on the original Prius, which includes leather seating and gives you the option of Nav and the Advanced Technology Package.

I think the trim level stands for Roman Numeral 5, not necessarily the letter 'V', but I do agree. Some of the...less informed consumers would be confused.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,900 Posts
The price really killed it for me last time I was needing to buy a car. I was so so wanting to consider the Prius as a choice but that price shoot it right out of the water.

·
What Toyota?
10,477 Posts

So which is it?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.... :lol: Guess you just have to say "five" and "vee" and be a little careful when typing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts