Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting an initial interest for a Carbon fiber Hood for Gen 2 Camrys. I am also considering trying to get the piece in front of the hodd above the grill done in carbon fiber as well. If you are remotely or surely interested please post here. If not, no need to reply. I may ask the Wraith to help us out, but only if we have sure interest and money up front. I am only trying to help out gen 2 members who always claim there is no aftermarket for their cars.

Most likely F.A.Q.

Q: Do you have a price?
A: No, but i would like to get it for around $500-700 before S/H.

Q: Who will the hood be made by?
A: No clue yet, whoever comes highly recommeded by Wraith.

Q: Is this for sure?
A: NO, this is simply to gauge the interest. I am not claiming that the product will be made. It will be made if the interest is there, but if there is no interest then there is no reason to make the product.

Q: Why would I want a CF hood on my CAMRY?
A: Your Camry is not the lightest car in the world and looks good, but doesn't exactly turn heads in stock form. This would be a limited number product that will give your car a 'different' look and save you some weight.

Q: Can I paint Carbon Fiber?
A: Yes, you can.

Q: Will the hood have a scoop or just look like the stock one?
A: Most likely we will get one that looks exactly like the stock one, unless the interest of a large group proves otherwise. the stock one has nice clean lines and is not too radical. Since the Camry bodylines aren't exactly radical, the hood should probably look clean too.

Any other questions can either be PMed, e-mailed, or responded to in this thread. Thanks for your interest.
 

·
Car Breaker
Joined
·
689 Posts
omgomgogmogmgogm !!!

5-700 is a little steep for me...

Are you proposing a full CF hood also with molded attached front grille?

I would love you..

EDIT: Even if you did do two seperate like CF grille, and then CF hood..that would still own...What would it be per item$?

Man that price, I know CF is expensive and hard to work with...well I just might have to consider myself out of this GB even though I would buy one for the right price

The thing about me is I don't make a lot of money to go and cash in on hoods or grilles, now if it were 2-300 it would gain my interest..

However I know what your saying, there isn't a lot of us here unless we got some amount of Gen 2 owners interested to lower the price (if you could even do that..)..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
epborden said:
omgomgogmogmgogm !!!

5-700 is a little steep for me...

Are you proposing a full CF hood also with molded attached front grille?

I would love you..

EDIT: Even if you did do two seperate like CF grille, and then CF hood..that would still own...What would it be per item$?

Man that price, I know CF is expensive and hard to work with...well I just might have to consider myself out of this GB even though I would buy one for the right price

The thing about me is I don't make a lot of money to go and cash in on hoods or grilles, now if it were 2-300 it would gain my interest..

However I know what your saying, there isn't a lot of us here unless we got some amount of Gen 2 owners interested to lower the price (if you could even do that..)..
$500-700 is not that bad for a custom CF hood project produced in limited numbers.

The grill/hood would not be molded together in the fashion of the ES250, unless that's what everyone wanted to do.

If we could get about 10 people we may be able to get it for 500, I'm going to ask Wraith soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
....if it's another couple months before the payment's needed, i might be able to do it. anything for the camry. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to organize and get a down payment for development of the hood in the next 2 months at the longest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noone even seriously interested? I'll have carbonwerks make me one anyway. If anyone else wants one I can help without the group buy also, but it will const more money, if we can get a group buy going we could save serious $$$.
 

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
Joined
·
2,558 Posts
You guys have to understand for a carbon fiber hood to be made... A mold alone will cost me $1200 out of my own pocket and people in this community expect to pay honda prices on items they dont make...

Please if you think you get one going go ahead but I will not fork over $1200 bucks of my own money to help out people get hoods whats in it for me ... The last carbon fiber hood group buy I did was a joke ... I ended up losting $100 dollars for a deposit on the first carbon fiber hood, they used my clean oem hood for the mold and I did most of the foot work ... For what a pat on the back, LOL... I dont think sooo... What did this group buy get me ??? NOTHING I lost my $100 dollars, they returned my clean oem hood all scratched up , and I didnt even get a freaking hood ... And in the end all I hear is people bitching and complaining...

Plain in simple ... for me to do a carbon fiber hood group buy again these requirements has to be met...

  • *10 people minimum.
    *$150 to $200 minimum NON-refundable deposit.
    *someone willing to give up their hood/hood and grill for the use of the mold.

so if you think the price might be too steep ... sell your camry and buy yourself a HONDA Civic or Integra and pay those prices... You guys have to remember the car you drive isnt aftermarket friendly...

Let me know when you have these requirements met.
 

·
Where's my boomstick?
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
i seriously doubt your gonna get this one going.

most of the gen2 guys here have no money, and the money we do have, is used to just keep the cars running.

Our cars are nearing 15years old, and 500 bucks can go a long way towards keeping these things on the road, our numbers are slimming.

I appreciate the offer for some aftermarket support, but i really dont see this being feasable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
agreed. as cool as i think a CF hood would be.... my car isn't near well enough alone to warrant using that much money on it this early. :(
 

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
Joey(Stickydiljoe) did a group buy on CF hoods oh I don't know, 2 years ago. I was in on it. The price for the hoods was only 350 dollars. The most people he could get to put a downpayment on them? 5. Only 5 people when there were just as many gen 2 owners around(with cars that were not as old) and a cheap cheap cheap price. Basically what I am saying is that it is not gonna happen. The gen 3 guys barely had enough interest. You want something made in CF for a gen 2(or just anything custom in general), prepare to do it alone.

I never even got my Hood cuz the place went out of business and I lost my deposit. I am going with a much more well known place next time and if they will keep the mold for you guys, I will let you who are willinng to spend the money know where to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talisman18 said:
Joey(Stickydiljoe) did a group buy on CF hoods oh I don't know, 2 years ago. I was in on it. The price for the hoods was only 350 dollars. The most people he could get to put a downpayment on them? 5. Only 5 people when there were just as many gen 2 owners around(with cars that were not as old) and a cheap cheap cheap price. Basically what I am saying is that it is not gonna happen. The gen 3 guys barely had enough interest. You want something made in CF for a gen 2(or just anything custom in general), prepare to do it alone.

I never even got my Hood cuz the place went out of business and I lost my deposit. I am going with a much more well known place next time and if they will keep the mold for you guys, I will let you who are willinng to spend the money know where to get it.
Tailsman, I am going to get the hood no matter what, so if you are interested, I have contacted carbonwerks already and am opeining an account with them. They are saying that I might be able to get the for around $400, but no promises.
 

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
1fastLE said:
Tailsman, I am going to get the hood no matter what, so if you are interested, I have contacted carbonwerks already and am opeining an account with them. They are saying that I might be able to get the for around $400, but no promises.
Yeah, let me know. I am an idiot and blow all my money on my 2nd gen so you know I am good for it. :p:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top