Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla Liftback 1.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Toyota people,

unfortunately my 4A-FE (second gen) suddenly developed a weird problem - it stops to rev at 5.1K. No error code is being displayed when i start blinking the hell out of the ECU memory. I am unfortunately running out of ideas, what to do next. Hence, I'd be very happy if you all could help me with your 4A-FE knowledge. I fear it's the distributer.

Engine is not backfiring, idles and revs very well - until 5.1K. It consumes no oil nor water (really zero). The oil catch-tank I installed is basically empty after 1.3K miles (since last inspection). Engine is 73K miles (119K Km) old now and definitely cared for very well.

Until this point I did the following to solve the problem:
  • new ignition cables
  • new distributer cap & distributer finger
  • checked all vacuum hoses (all good)
  • measured resistance of ignition coil (all good, too)

Next things to check/replace:
  • measure injector resistance
  • replace all injector seals (i realized i can turn all injectors in their seats very easily; seals on head-side seem worn)
  • replace gasoline-filter (never done it during the last 4k in my ownership)
  • clean throttle body

Do you have any more recommendations?
I would be very happy!
Thank you and take care!

Tim

Reactions: Pete Suhman

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Corolla
1,732 Posts
Is the distributor factory or aftermarket? Does yours have automatic or manual timing?

·
Registered
Corolla Liftback 1.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the distributor factory or aftermarket? Does yours have automatic or manual timing?
Distributor is factory. Manual timing. Timing is set i think.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Corolla
1,732 Posts
Could be the ignition coil even if it measures fine.

I have a brand new aftermarket manual timing distributor lying around here. If you think it would help you find the problem, PM me if you want it for free.

·
Registered
Corolla Liftback 1.6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you guys! You're very helpful! I will try to unplug the throttle sensor and probably get a new coil and install it.

And yes, I'm form Germany. There's not many AE100 left over here and we've had only a few of them back in the days, which is why I came here for the knowledge.
I have no idea yet, if it's possible to get a good distributor for a decent price. Toyota parts are generally more costly over here.

I will keep you posted! :) Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
I unplugged the TPS and it still stutters around 5K. It sounds to my ears as if he likes to ignite but can't somehow?! :confused:
Also, thanks for your distributor offer, Apples555 - very kind!

EDIT 2:
Unfortunately, I can't rent a lift right now as we're in a lockdown until 7th of march. I will then change the gasoline filter together with the oil change installation the summer boots. I will keep you posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts