Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Friday my Toytec 3" 884 coil, AAL, Rear Axle degree shims, Driveshaft carrier bearing drop kit was installed and on Saturday morning I took my truck to the Toyota dealer to have the alignment done.
This is what I discovered;

The installer insist that it was the lift that cause the boots to tear. I have been talking with Toytec and they told me after 10000 installs of the same type of lift. Have not see this type of issue. I have decision to make. Should I have the installer fix the problem at no charge or minimum charge to me or should have the Toyota dealer fix it and charge the installer the $700 the dealer going to charge me for the repair? I got the lift installed at www.fao4wd.com Just remember that the installer insist that its the lift and that he did not tear the boots on install. Comments are welcome. Thank you, Don

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
If the installer did not take care not to allow the LCA drop and the CV's to get stressed the boot s should not have gotten torn! I installed my Toytec lift and I have no issues like this.
Who ever did the install must not have known what he was doing?

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Ouch. That looks like a major fuck up by the installer. Your setup is installed all over the place and I can't recall ever seeing that on a new install.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may have to push the issue with the installer on fixing this. I sure if I want him to fix it. I may goto the Toyota dealer and charger the installer for the repairs.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
donnyb said:
I may have to push the issue with the installer on fixing this. I sure if I want him to fix it. I may goto the Toyota dealer and charger the installer for the repairs.
Why do you think the dealer can get the installer to pay??
Many people have installed this lift some use the diff drop and some don't. But your boots should not look like this the day after you lift the truck! Maybe after a few years of having it on you may get some wear issues??
But not the very next day!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toku58 said:
Why do you think the dealer can get the installer to pay??
Many people have installed this lift some use the diff drop and some don't. But your boots should not look like this the day after you lift the truck! Maybe after a few years of having it on you may get some wear issues??
But not the very next day!!!
The dealer won't make the installer paid but I'm sure that the lawyer group that I pay every month could build a nice case.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
donnyb said:
The dealer won't make the installer paid but I'm sure that the lawyer group that I pay every month could build a nice case.
LOL!! Oh?! You roll like that?!!:lol: :lol:
Well my vote is for the installer F-up!! Is that happening on both sides or just one side?
Oh I was reading that the installer wants to deal?? NO! Deal! He F'd up! I would not let him touch my truck again!!
Have the dealer fix it and charge it to him!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toku58 said:
LOL!! Oh?! You roll like that?!!:lol: :lol:
Well my vote is for the installer F-up!! Is that happening on both sides or just one side?
Its both sides... I'm trying to be cool about the whole-thing and giving the installer a chance to fix the problem with the lease amount of drama. I even ordered the parts ($30), but my patients are is wearing thin now that I will be without my truck for a week.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
donnyb said:
Its both sides... I'm trying to be cool about the whole-thing and giving the installer a chance to fix the problem with the lease amount of drama. I even ordered the parts ($30), but my patients are is wearing thin now that I will be without my truck for a week.
Are you sure you want this person touching you truck again????? To replace the boots is a few hour job! Why would you be without a truck for a week??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
toku58 said:
Are you sure you want this person touching you truck again????? To replace the boots is a few hour job! Why would you be without a truck for a week??
I'm not sure if I'm going let him work on the truck. I ordered the parts saturday and they won't ship until Monday or Tuesday, so I most likely get the truck into shop on Friday.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would hold off on the finger pointing at the installer first. As I was installing my lift on the driver side, I forgot to support the LCA as I was separating the spindle from the UCA. The whole LCA/spindle assembly came down which stressed the boot. :headbang: Also, as I was moving the sway bar out of the way, it fell down on the same boot, putting a crease in it. :headbang: The boot still has not ripped or leaks. I think the boot is pretty durable since it withstood the stupidity I put it through. I say maybe you had a bad boot which was on its last legs and the lift was the breaking point for it. :dunno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hans Moleman said:
I would hold off on the finger pointing at the installer first. As I was installing my lift on the driver side, I forgot to support the LCA as I was separating the spindle from the UCA. The whole LCA/spindle assembly came down which stressed the boot. :headbang: Also, as I was moving the sway bar out of the way, it fell down on the same boot, putting a crease in it. :headbang: The boot still has not ripped or leaks. I think the boot is pretty durable since it withstood the stupidity I put it through. I say maybe you had a bad boot which was on its last legs and the lift was the breaking point for it. :dunno:
That must be two bad boot because both are torn on a truck that has 10,000 miles on it.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
Are you sure it's the CV boots that are torn?

From those pics it looks like the grease boots on your sway bar connects are thrashed.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
no mo lifts for me

I have had to lifted trucks. Nothing but issues afterwards.
Always something when you jack with it. I was hoping to lift mine, but I have read a few guys with lift issues . . . sorry to hear it bro, I think that suck nutz!

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Ha, it reminds me of my wheeling incident in a rental truck up at the Sand Dunes this past summer:clap: I'll elaborate if anyone is interested.

But back on topic, I'm a little worried that a "little" stress would cause the CV boot to rip/tear like that...a small stick could do a shitload of damage to that thing if it rips easily:ugh3: I'll be pissed if mine blows out..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Today I got the CV boots fix at the dealership and got a chance to talk with mechanic that work on the truck. He told me that there was a pin hole in each boots, mostly caused from the shock bolt hitting it. I talk to the installer and got a refund for the cost of labor to install the lift. I basic told him that all the evidence points to a installer error. I paid a little more at the dealership, but in the long run I know now that the job got done right. I have a diff drop kit on the way but I'm not sure if I want to install it. I guess its pretty easy to do, so I may just install it myself and if I have problems with vibrations I can just remove it. Does anyone have experience with diff drop kit? is worth installing or not. Thanks for all the replies. It gave me ammunition to deal with installer.:thumbup:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked out!! I knew that it must have been something the installer did, these boots aren't that weak! As for the Diff drop? I would pass on installing it? All it does is tilt the front diff. downwards which only drops it about 1/4-1/2"?? I can't see it making a big difference! But it up to you?
Good luck!!
Glad we could be of help!!

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB
356 Posts
If the pinion (differential) angle on the front is not correct after the lift, then you should install the front diff drop, even if all it really does is tilt the diff. That tilt will correct the angle that the front drive shaft and front diff intersect at.

If you have too much pinion angle (front or rear), it puts more stress on the u-joint (especially during suspension articulation). The u-joint will wear out much, much quicker or fail when your are trying to slog through that mud ditch or go over that sand dune.

A slight drop of the front diff will also decrease the angle of the drive shafts which will take some stress off of them also.

It's your truck though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts