Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed new motor in 2000 Solara and ran perfect for two months.....Then recently the check engine light started flashing and little power. Misfiring
all the time......Installed new plugs but no help. Mechanic did compression test and it was very good. Could this be a clogged injector? This Solara is very reluctant to run.....Problem seems to in No 2 cylinder....Plug wires seem fine-NGK. Help!

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
Then recently the check engine light started flashing and little power. Misfiring
all the time.
2,2 but somehow I have not got to the code stage..
If the check engine light is flashing, there WILL be error codes. Get them checked and report back what they are. Doing anything else is playing a guessing game.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the check engine light is flashing, there WILL be error codes. Get them checked and report back what they are. Doing anything else is playing a guessing game.
This is the 4cyl 2.2 engine..

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Installed new motor in 2000 Solara and ran perfect for two months.....Then recently the check engine light started flashing and little power. Misfiring
all the time......Installed new plugs but no help. Mechanic did compression test and it was very good. Could this be a clogged injector? This Solara is very reluctant to run.....Problem seems to in No 2 cylinder....Plug wires seem fine-NGK. Help!
If the Check Engine Light (CEL) is flashing then, it is pretty serious as oppose to just an illuminated CEL that is ON.

BMR is correct when he says to obtain codes to see.

I don't know off hand what items could it be that makes a CEL FLASH like that, except it maybe one of the paired Ignition Coils that might have gone bad?? Just guessing! :unsure:

·
short-throw dipstick
5,902 Posts
Flashing CEL, as per the OBDII standard, means one thing: misfire bad enough to damage the catalytic converter(s). Or at least, the engine control software thinks so.

As mentioned, pull codes first. Stop driving it of course, and see if the codes match up to what you said about it seeming to be on #2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flashing CEL, as per the OBDII standard, means one thing: misfire bad enough to damage the catalytic converter(s). Or at least, the engine control software thinks so.

As mentioned, pull codes first. Stop driving it of course, and see if the codes match up to what you said about it seeming to be on #2.
I'm still driving it a little.....the thing is such a junker ....How many people install an entire motor only to have the car run horribly? Not many I guess.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,902 Posts
Well, it didn't run bad immediately, you got two months out of it. Something is wrong, these cars are very well-designed to be troubleshot and worked on (read: simple).

When I did the first engine swap on my beatercam, it wouldn't idle. Turned out I put in federal engine and the Cali-spec software couldn't drive the federal IAC valve properly. But I had to figure that out.

I'm still driving it a little.....the thing is such a junker ....How many people install an entire motor only to have the car run horribly? Not many I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it didn't run bad immediately, you got two months out of it. Something is wrong, these cars are very well-designed to be troubleshot and worked on (read: simple).

When I did the first engine swap on my beatercam, it wouldn't idle. Turned out I put in federal engine and the Cali-spec software couldn't drive the federal IAC valve properly. But I had to figure that out.
Clearly it is not one expects from a Toyota....The first engine had fan relay failure and the radiator exploded.... It ran perfectly with the new motor...like new A NEW CAR. It's wearing me out. Thing is, I love this car despite its inability to go down the road without sputtering. My goal is to keep it from the junkyard without dumping too much$ $ into it.....Probably already failed on that score.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,902 Posts
I guess stuff happens, and there're too many variables over the course of the car's life...e.g, my most troublesome Toyota is an '00 Camry 5S-FE/A140E with 77K on it. The guy bought it from his FIL two years ago at 50K, and it sat around so long between drives, it looked immaculate but started leaking like a sieve once they started driving it regularly. So I did timing belt and oil sealing 1.5 years ago. It's been good, apart from a leaking tstat gasket (last time I use NAPA store brand), and I just did the EGR VSV (failing intermittently causing a P0401).

Clearly it is not one expects from a Toyota....The first engine had fan relay failure and the radiator exploded.... It ran perfectly with the new motor...like new A NEW CAR. It's wearing me out. Thing is, I love this car despite its inability to go down the road without sputtering. My goal is to keep it from the junkyard without dumping too much$ $ into it.....Probably already failed on that score.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess stuff happens, and there're too many variables over the course of the car's life...e.g, my most troublesome Toyota is an '00 Camry 5S-FE/A140E with 77K on it. The guy bought it from his FIL two years ago at 50K, and it sat around so long between drives, it looked immaculate but started leaking like a sieve once they started driving it regularly. So I did timing belt and oil sealing 1.5 years ago. It's been good, apart from a leaking tstat gasket (last time I use NAPA store brand), and I just did the EGR VSV (failing intermittently causing a P0401).
You would think that would be a safe buy......This town is so small I could probably get by without the Solara and use a bicycle...which is having a lot more appeal these days....My other transport is 1988 Winnebago RV with Toyota R22 pick up truck....And yes-runs great....No trouble. Solara-watch out. Do you think I am really damaging catalytic on the Solara? If i drive it? I sort of don't care after all the trouble....Could be blessing if it explodes on side of road...

·
short-throw dipstick
5,902 Posts
I mean, misfires on these are not tough to figure out. Use a scanner to pull the codes and post them up here so we can help you further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what happened when we checked codes with OBD scanner: First check read: "Multiple cylinder misfire #234......System too lean bank 1".....Subsequent scan read: Catalytic consistency below threshold Bank 1......Cylinder misfire 2 and 4....Code Po302"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solara 2,2 2000 with newly installed engine...ran great for a short while. Then no power CEL flashing. Installed new plugs, checked plug wires all good. OBD codes read as follows: "PO 302....multiple cylinder [email protected],3,4 ....System too lean Bank 1." Later readings said "multiple misfire 2,4....cATALYTIC CONSISTENCY below threshold Bank 1." Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
I merged your threads so it's easier to for people to help you. Keeping it all in one place makes it easier to know all the details, instead of scattering it out.

If I read your post right, the misfires are on all 4 cylinders? P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304 error codes?
And a P0171 for the system too lean?
And a P0402 for "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold"?

Is all that correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I merged your threads so it's easier to for people to help you. Keeping it all in one place makes it easier to know all the details, instead of scattering it out.

If I read your post right, the misfires are on all 4 cylinders? P0301, P0302, P0303, and P0304 error codes?
And a P0171 for the system too lean?
And a P0402 for "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold"?

Is all that correct?
The initial error codes disappeared....Now it simply reads PO 302.....The other error codes are correct. as in PO171 and po402..

·
short-throw dipstick
5,902 Posts
i think you mean p0420.

Standard practice on cars that interface well with a cheap scanner is to clear the codes, then see what comes back so as not to clutter up with red herrings.

For the P0302, if you already checked the plug and wire, try swapping coils next. The two coils are identical other than the numbering printed on them, so just swap them physically and plug everything back in, see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just rechecked the OBD and the scanner now indicates only two codes: PO302 and PO115.....I have had a long-term relationship with this sensor...I do not however, recall if I replaced it or not. I did have to wire it in a few times.... CEL is still flashing and engine still misfiring....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts