Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Tim in illinois
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:clap::thumbsup:Well, a short time ago I mentioned my check engine light came on. My wife was concerned as she drives the car the most. I had the codes read by two local shops. First code listed said, loose connection, open circuit. Second one dirty connector and third code, bad emission CCV vent solonoid. The other day I get a call from her the car won't start in a grocery store parking lot. Good place for it. This just so happens after she & I were discussing the light. No power at all. She did say when the first attempt to start it the radio/tape player made funny noise's then nothing. So, I figure the 9 year old battery is finally dead. I took a multimeter and jumper cables with me. Put meter on battery after I had her try it again, reads 12.8v...Hmmm... I wiggle the cables and the positive side is real loose. Twist it enough to tighten and she tells me the radio is coming on now. Turns key, starts right up. <grin> We switch vehicles.
I drove the car to Napa and got a new battery terminal and by the time I got home the check engine light was out. Install new terminal and still after two weeks no reapprearance of the imfamous light. Simple is as simple does..... I will keep an eye on the 9 year old battery...

Tim

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad you got it started, but why "keep an eye on the 9 year old battery"? It's earned its retirement. You're overdue for a new one. Don't wait. You know it's going to die on a rainy night when your wife is at the mall! She won't be very happy then; and you know the old saying,"When your wife's happy, you're happy. When she's not, watch out!" So, take some advice from someone who's been happily mariied for 41 years and who was a mechanic since the age of 5: Get a new battery today. Good luck, Hy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts