Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought two 2010 Venzas. One V4 and one V6. Both made in a d
different plant.

I have searched every forum and can not find a topic on this.
What is happening is when the very first time I start the car in the morning or at night (when the car sits for more than 8 hours), and I start driving it for 3 seconds while turning out of my driveway, (a slight turn either right or left, doesnt matter) I hear in the front of the car a bang noise. It is not loud, but it sounds like a flap of some kind that is closing or opening. It only does this once a day. It does this on both of my cars.
It is coming from the engine area, like around the wheel well, maybe. Does this have anything to do with the air vents? :headbang:

Does anyone know of this?

Is this happening to any of you?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recently bought two 2010 Venzas. One V4 and one V6. Both made in a d
different plant.

I have searched every forum and can not find a topic on this.
What is happening is when the very first time I start the car in the morning or at night (when the car sits for more than 8 hours), and I start driving it for 3 seconds while turning out of my driveway, (a slight turn either right or left, doesnt matter) I hear in the front of the car a bang noise. It is not loud, but it sounds like a flap of some kind that is closing or opening. It only does this once a day. It does this on both of my cars.
It is coming from the engine area, like around the wheel well, maybe. Does this have anything to do with the air vents? :headbang:

Does anyone know of this?

Is this happening to any of you?
AWD or FWD? I notice something similar at 8mph in my 09 AWD V6, and was told it was the AWD turning off.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My guess is your feeling the antilock brake system self check. It comes on and makes a click from the front end area at over 5mph IIRC. This is normal if that is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It is the antilock brake system. All cars with antilock brakes will do this. IF it doesn't do this, you need to have it checked as you may have brake issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2009 awd and i hear something similar coming from front right mine is random but mosly when driving off for the first time it realy sond like a loud pop from top of the strut tower

i did not talk to the dealer yet because i canot recreate the noise

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Funny thing, I owed 12 cars in my life, currently I have a Lexus and Infiniti 2008 and 2009 and I never hear this sound on them at all. They both have anti-lock brakes.

BTW: The dealer can not duplicate this becuase it only happens when the car is sitting a while or cold. Very strange why this wount did it all the time. I guess the car has to be off for sometime. Alomost like the anti-lock system resets itself with the computer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to confirm. I did much researched and talked to a toyota engineer yesterday.
The noise we are hearing is from the anti-lock unit that checks itself at 8MPH. This happens whenever the car is turned off for more than 5 minutes, the computer resets itself for all checks.
He said that they are trying to make a new system that does not make this pop sound. The Camary does not make this noise.
He also stated to me that the Venza has a more complicated (expensive)up to date anti-lock system that no other car has, therefore making this noise.

Im cool with this noise, so I know that the system is working.

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just to confirm. I did much researched and talked to a toyota engineer yesterday.
The noise we are hearing is from the anti-lock unit that checks itself at 8MPH.
My guess is your feeling the antilock brake system self check. It comes on and makes a click from the front end area at over 5mph IIRC. This is normal if that is what you are hearing.
Sorry I missed it by 3MPH....I did say "IIRC" though. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts