Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I’m having problems resetting the TPWS (get the TPMS Warning Light to turn off). Here’s the details and specifics:

2019 Camry LE Hybrid
4.2” display
I bought 4 new alloy wheels and TPMS from Discount Tire online
A local tire shop installed the wheels/tires/TPMS

I never noticed Tire Pressure warning light on after wheels were installed (not saying light wasn’t On – didn’t notice it). The next day we went on a long trip and noticed the warning light on. I pulled over at a Tire Shop and the tire pressure on both “driver’s-side” tires were over 5 lb Too High. The shop adjusted the pressure and I figured if the light didn’t go out, I’d fix it later.

I’ve followed the instructions in the manual; several times; and cannot get the light off. I get to the point where I select <Change Wheel> or <Set Pressure> (I’ve tried both selections) and press the <OK> button. The “Tire Pressure warning light” is suppose to blink 3 times and it NEVER does, no matter how long I press/hold the OK button!

Does anyone know why the Tire Pressure warning light won’t blink 3-times while I hold-down the OK button?

Thanks! Alan

ps: I've always known tire pressure system as TPMS but Toyota uses BOTH acronyms TPMS and TPWS in the manual!?!?

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE, 2020 Camry Hybrid LE
915 Posts
Your local tire shop did not program your ECU with the new TPMS IDs. Why didn't you just simply transfer the original TPMS from the orginal wheels? You will have to take the wheels back (along with your car) and have your local tire shop program your ECU with the new TPMS IDs. This might be very expensive as the Toyota dealer will force you to buy Toyota TPMS sensors (PMV-C015) and charge you for the reprogramming ($400 for four TPMS and $200 for installation and programming).

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your local tire shop did not program your ECU with the new TPMS IDs. Why didn't you just simply transfer the original TPMS from the original wheels? You will have to take the wheels back (along with your car) and have your local tire shop program your ECU with the new TPMS IDs. This might be very expensive as the Toyota dealer will force you to buy Toyota TPMS sensors (PMV-C015) and charge you for the reprogramming ($400 for four TPMS and $200 for installation and programming).
Thanks for your quick reply! Original TPMS are in a different set of alloy wheels that have studded winter tires on them - where we live is called the "Gateway to Mt Hood," with very steep streets to boot.

The TPMS I bought were suppose to be for "my" car (I spoke with Discount Tire "online", on the phone quite a bit). I took the car back to the Tire Shop this morning and they set the TPMS IDs. Since I watched the video on how to do this (I don't have all of the tools to do it), I somewhat know "the process." The Shop did the process backwards from what I viewed on the video and it took them a long time to get TPMS set.

Thanks for reinforcing what I thought - Toyota dealership is Very Proud of their pricing! lol Here's what I paid: $180 for 4 TPMS sensors; installed 4 winter tires on the alloys that were on the car (which had the stock TPMS) & balanced, install the TPMS on new Alloy Wheels and mount the stock tires (that were on the car) & balance and mount on the car for $120!

I assume that since the TPMS IDs have been set for this car, I can do the TPWS, <Change Wheels> procedure for resetting the light (if it comes on) when I switchover the winter tires?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I assume that since the TPMS IDs have been set for this car, I can do the TPWS, <Change Wheels> procedure for resetting the light (if it comes on) when I switchover the winter tires?
No. That does not work. You will have to repogram the TPMS again in the spring. Take it back to Discount tires. They will do that for free or buy a ATEQUICKSET.

·
Registered
516 Posts
No. That does not work. You will have to repogram the TPMS again in the spring. Take it back to Discount tires. They will do that for free or buy a ATEQUICKSET.
What is different between what the OP is doing and the process that’s in the manual? Other people here have switched wheels/tires and successfully learned them without going to a dealer.

·
Registered
915 Posts
What is different between what the OP is doing and the process that’s in the manual? Other people here have switched wheels/tires and successfully learned them without going to a dealer.
If the car is non-Japan made (not starting with a "J" VIN) and the local tire shop programmed the second set, then you are correct. If the local shop wrote over the previous TPMS IDs then it will not work. If the VIN starts with a "J" then learning function will not work.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will have to repogram the TPMS again in the spring. Take it back to Discount tires.
So - the TPWS, <Change Wheels> procedure for resetting the warning light only works for rotating tires/wheels that are ID'd (installed) on the car? Discount Tire Stores are not really affiliated - will do things for you (for free) that you bought through DiscountTires.com. Thanks for all your help Northwoodshyun!

·
Registered
915 Posts
So - the TPWS, <Change Wheels> procedure for resetting the warning light only works for rotating tires/wheels that are ID'd (installed) on the car? Discount Tire Stores are not really affiliated - will do things for you (for free) that you bought through DiscountTires.com. Thanks for all your help Northwoodshyun!
Discount Tire, in my area, has no problem doing this for me but I don't need it because I have the tool. If you want, you can just pay the dealer one time fee for programming both sets of TPMS IDs into your car ($120-$150) or buy the tool then do the programming yourself. However, you will have to know the IDs of the other TPMS IDs. TPWS setting will allow you to either swtich between two sets of wheels (winter and summer) or manage wheel positions when you rotate the tires. Too bad you are not in MSP area, I would do it for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't have a J-vin camry.

I installed my winter wheels with a new set of sensors. I did not program the new IDs (Techstream would not let me for some reason). I simply followed the relearn procedure in the manual (it did take a whole weekend). TPMS now works fine. If I check in Techstream, it shows the new IDs.

When summer comes, I will put on my summer wheels and simply do the same procedure again. No need to go to the dealer, no need to program anything, no need for a special tool, nothing. Just follow the procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't have a J-vin camry.

I installed my winter wheels with a new set of sensors. I did not program the new IDs (Techstream would not let me for some reason). I simply followed the relearn procedure in the manual (it did take a whole weekend). TPMS now works fine. If I check in Techstream, it shows the new IDs.

When summer comes, I will put on my summer wheels and simply do the same procedure again. No need to go to the dealer, no need to program anything, no need for a special tool, nothing. Just follow the procedure in the manual.
Hey gabpaq88, your experience is what I was expecting on my vehicle. I assume that you had a "shop" install your wheels, TPMS, and tires. I'm assuming that the Shop ID'd your TPMS (as I thought my shop did - but they Didn't).

I'm afraid (since my Shop had difficulty setting the TPMS) they deleted the TPMS ID of my winter tires, which have the Stock TPMS in them and are not installed on the car now. Since I purchased the ATEQ TPMS Quickset Reset Tool, I can make sure everything is ID'd properly so that I can use the TPWS, <Change Wheels> procedure for resetting the warning light if it comes on when I switch wheels. If I can't do it through the vehicles TPWS procedure, I'll have the Tool to reset the light.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My tire shop did not do anything regarding my TPMS. I gave the sensors to the mechanic. Told him to put those on in instead of regular valves and that I would take care of the programming myself.
My TPMS was not functional after I left the shop. It doesnt matter if your IDs were wiped. The car will learn the new ones on its own. Not sure why it did not work for you, but I think you simply did not give it enough time to relearn codes.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesnt matter if your IDs were wiped. The car will learn the new ones on its own. Not sure why it did not work for you, but I think you simply did not give it enough time to relearn codes.
Thanks for your reply. The day after I installed new wheels, tires and TPMS, I've driven at least 600 miles (away from home on a trip) for 9 days (driving every day). I checked tire pressure and "lived-with" having the warning light on, knowing I'd deal with resetting the light after getting home (this last weekend). Not sure how long (miles or time) it takes for a car to "relearn"-on-it's-own, I would think it was plenty of time and drive-time?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The day after I installed new wheels, tires and TPMS, I've driven at least 600 miles (away from home on a trip) for 9 days (driving every day). I checked tire pressure and "lived-with" having the warning light on, knowing I'd deal with resetting the light after getting home (this last weekend). Not sure how long (miles or time) it takes for a car to "relearn"-on-it's-own, I would think it was plenty of time and drive-time?
I got the tool because it allows me to change the IDs in real time. I could care less about waiting. I think LE model works differently than other trims.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the tool because it allows me to change the IDs in real time. I could care less about waiting. I think LE model works differently than other trims.
Same reason for me. When I drive-in and just want my TPMS ID's set at the Dealer or a Tire Shop (without paying to have something else done, like mounting new new tires on wheels) they'll charge me, and it'll just take a couple of times and I'd have paid for the tool. I believe the cheapest I found at a shop "to just set TPMS ID" (and nothing else) is $20 per wheel (that's $80 x 2x year = $160 - more than a tool costs).

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I obtain a set of takeoff wheels from another Camry, will I have a hard time setting them up for my car?
You didn't post your model, and mine's a '19 Camry LE (Hybrid), which sounds like it's different than other model of Camrys. You might want to start another post and list the "specifics" of your car and components. My guess is: your TPMS haven't been ID'd to your vehicle - one response in this thread was: a car will "learn" the TPMS - but if you read my experience - this never happened.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts