Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE, 2020 Camry Hybrid LE
915 Posts
If I obtain a set of takeoff wheels from another Camry, will I have a hard time setting them up for my car?
It depends on the Camry model year. You will need PMV-C015 TPMS sensors from 2018-2020 Camry or 2019-2020 RAV4 or 2016-2019 Tacoma (with low neck angle. 40 degree neck will not work).

·
Registered
572 Posts
It depends on the Camry model year. You will need PMV-C015 TPMS sensors from 2018-2020 Camry or 2019-2020 RAV4 or 2016-2019 Tacoma (with low neck angle. 40 degree neck will not work).
I should have worded this better. I have a 2019 and would be using a fulI set (wheels/tires/tpms) taken off of another 8th gen, different trim level.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I should have worded this better. I have a 2019 and would be using a fulI set (wheels/tires/tpms) taken off of another 8th gen, different trim level.
It won't make any difference if it is from another Camry or not. The car will need to learn a new set of sensor IDs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You should be able to, yes. To be fair, the relearn procedure isn't the best. It can take a lot of time (a lot more than the 10-30 mins mentionned in the manual) and there is no feedback from the car. Just a TPMS light that sometimes blinks. You are never too sure what the car is doing. Is it still searching for sensors? Did it give up? Who knows. I had personnaly given up, but it finally found my sensors after a weekend of driving.

And there is always the option to register them with the ATEQ tool.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mine's a '19 Camry LE (Hybrid).
This is what I am plannign to do for my winter wheel set up (Rims: Lexus GS350 18", Nokian Hak R3 215-50-18, PMV-C015 TPMS).Plannig to buy tires soon then add TPMS later. Rim Spec: 18x8 and 45mm Offset. Show me what you have.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
UPDATE: We have had an unusually mild winter this year and they're finally predicting snow - so I just swapped my alloy wheels/tires with my alloy wheels/studded-winter tires. The winter tire set has the original TMPS sensors in the wheels.

Now I really need to plead ignorance on this whole TPMS/TPWS issue. I always thought, and people commented in this post, that "a car" would sense and ID any/new TPMS sensors. Since the alloy wheels/tires I just removed had new TMPS sensors, the Tire Shop had to ID each sensor/tire then plug their tool into my ECU to assign the IDs. I bought this ATEQ Quickset Tool to store my Summer and Winter Tires TPMS/IDs. I read, from my ECU, the Summer Tire ID's and stored them on my computer (in the software that was provided).

I was really afraid when I put my Winter Tires on (since I didn't have the IDs for the TPMS sensors) that I'd have to have them ID'd for the vehicle again - even though they were the original TPMS sensors. I used the <Change Wheels> feature on my car's system. I asked my Tire Store guy and he said since the sensors had already been on the car, the car will remember them. Long story - but I installed my Winter Tires and no Warning Light came on!!!!! I plugged in the ATEQ Tool and read my Winter Tire TPMS IDs and loaded them into the software.

The TPMS IDs for the Winter Tires ARE IDENTICAL to the Summer Tire IDs!!!!! I feel like I wasted good money for this ATEQ Quickset Tool, for no good reason. Is there anyone that can tell what this tool is good for - rotating tires (seems like mine will sense change in rotating tire/TPMS-IDs)?!?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Show me what you have.
I’ve had way too many low-profile tire and wheel setups. While car’s handling is improved, ride/smoothness and NOISE is not good with low-profile tires. There’s also No Meat on the tire to protect the rims from curb-rash!

Since I didn’t buy this car for a “sports car,” I stayed with the stock 16” wheels and the stock setup handles really well. My Winter rims are: Konig Crown, 7.5x16, 40mm offset. Summer rims are: Maxxim Ferris, 7x16, 40 mm offset.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The TPMS IDs for the Winter Tires ARE IDENTICAL to the Summer Tire IDs!!!!! I feel like I wasted good money for this ATEQ Quickset Tool, for no good reason. Is there anyone that can tell what this tool is good for - rotating tires (seems like my will sense change in rotating tire/TPMS-IDs)?!?
Did you clone the TPMS IDs based on your original TPMS sensors? I don't think this was the case for you. There is no way the two sets of sensors have idenitical IDs unless the new ones are cloned. IMHO, I don't think the new TPMS IDs were programmed onto your ECU (How can you program new IDs onto the ECU when you do not know the IDs). I drove my 2019 RAV4 without the TPMS sensors but did not get the warning until a few weeks later after drving an extended distance. If you drive relatively short distances and your Camry is parked in the vicinity of the wheels with the original TPMS then you may not encounter TPMS warning light issue. I use my ATEQ Quickse to actively change the TPMS IDs.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
IMHO, I don't think the new TPMS IDs were programmed onto your ECU (How can you program new IDs onto the ECU when you do not know the IDs).
After installing my new/summer alloy wheels, tires and "new" TPMS sensors, the warning light would not go out, even after several days and over 900 miles of driving, which prompted me to make this post. I went back to the Tire Shop that installed everything and they had a tool - went around to each wheel and read the TPMS. He then had to plug his tool into the ECU to register the IDs. After he did this, the warning light went out - then I went home and registered these IDs using my ATEQ (also uploaded them into the software).

I keep my car in the garage, parked about <6 feet away from the "other" set of wheels/tires.

·
Registered
915 Posts
After installing my new/summer alloy wheels, tires and "new" TPMS sensors, the warning light would not go out, even after several days and over 900 miles of driving, which prompted me to make this post. I went back to the Tire Shop that installed everything and they had a tool - went around to each wheel and read the TPMS. He then had to plug his tool into the ECU to register the IDs. After he did this, the warning light went out - then I went home and registered these IDs using my ATEQ (also uploaded them into the software).

I keep my car in the garage, parked about <6 feet away from the "other" set of wheels/tires.
My bad. I am not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The Craziness continues! 4 days after I made Post #28 above, The Tire Pressure Light started blinking when I'd start the car then would stay on!!

I had the 10k mile service done at the dealer's the day after I installed these winter tires/wheels - TPMS light was not on. I figured since the light came on after I had the car serviced (and it's under warranty) the Toyota dealer would fix it. Boy was I wrong. Since I have have tires and wheels (and installation/re-installation of TPMS sensors) done by a Tire Shop, they will not warranty work that was not performed by the dealer!!! Even though the wheels on the vehicle have the original/stock TPMS sensors, they were "removed and reinstalled" by the Tire Shop, not a Toyota Dealership Shop, they said the Tire Shop could've damaged the sensors when they installed them.

I took the vehicle back to the Tire Shop and they configured the TPMS sensors to the ECU. They had a difficult time doing this - it took them over half an hour. When I got home, I logged the new TPMS IDs with my ATEQ Quickset and stored it on my desktop.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I figured since the light came on after I had the car serviced (and it's under warranty) the Toyota dealer would fix it. Boy was I wrong. Since I have have tires and wheels (and installation/re-installation of TPMS sensors) done by a Tire Shop, they will not warranty work that was not performed by the dealer!!! Even though the wheels on the vehicle have the original/stock TPMS sensors, they were "removed and reinstalled" by the Tire Shop, not a Toyota Dealership Shop, they said the Tire Shop could've damaged the sensors when they installed them.
I wonder how many dealers would fix this problem for free or under warranty. 1 out of 1000 or 1 out of 10,000? I hope your TPMS problem is solved.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
4 Posts
My tire shop did not do anything regarding my TPMS. I gave the sensors to the mechanic. Told him to put those on in instead of regular valves and that I would take care of the programming myself.
My TPMS was not functional after I left the shop. It doesnt matter if your IDs were wiped. The car will learn the new ones on its own. Not sure why it did not work for you, but I think you simply did not give it enough time to relearn codes.
How to make the car relearn the codes ? Can you explain step-by-step procedure please?

·
Registered
2019 Camry LE Hybrid
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
How to make the car relearn the codes ? Can you explain step-by-step procedure please?
Looks like we have the same vehicle. My experience has not been good, fortunately, the tire shop that installed the new TMPS in my Summer Wheels and mounted tires on my Winter Wheels has been excellent and helping me with resetting the TPMS for very little money (most places seem to rip you off by overcharging to reset TPMS). Best deal I found on the ATEQ QUICKSET was at Tire Rack.com.You can plug this device into your OBD2, read the codes (for either summer or winter), then plug this device into your computer (you'll need to install the software first) and "save" your TPMS readings - for both summer and winter rims/tires. You plug the tool into the car's OBD2 when you switch rims and read them into the computer - identifying summer or winter rims. I believe (I did this) you need to mark each tire when you remove it as to it's location, (like LF for left front) - then reinstall them on the car in the same location, or tell the computer software the new locations the plug them into the Quickset. Each TPMS reading corresponds with the exact location the wheel is installed. This sounds more complicated than it is - when you have the Quickset and computer software, it makes sense.

I've never "rotated" the tires (I get Free Service at the Toyota Dealer and they do this - unless you're having/paying the dealer to do all of this swapping [which will be more expensive than ANYWHERE - and they may only guarantee/warranty the work installing "Original" [expensive] parts). There's a "Change Wheel" function through the User Interface on your dash (search the Owner's Manual on how to do this). I'm "Assuming" the Dealer uses this feature when they rotate my tires (I really DON'T know). This is what I would do (Use the Change Wheel function) if I rotated tires. If this doesn't work, I can go to my computer and change the location of the TPMS on the software, then load that info onto the Quickset, then plug it into the car's ODB2. This is ALL really new to me (and I was an auto mechanic 1971-1974) so, I hope this helps!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts