Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.
I recently bought a new radio for my camry Le 92, and and I obviously don't know much about cars. Still, I wanted to do it all by myself.
I have the correct wires and I THINK they are all connected properly.
Anyway, the problem is that nothings working anymore : The new radio don't receive any power, nor the old one when I reconnect it.
When a radio is connected, the clock and the light over my head (Sorry, I don't know how we call it xD!) don't work anymore.
But when I deconnect the radio, the clock's light come back, be it's resetted. I guess one of the wire for the radio has been broken or something while I was trying to be a mecano -_- But I would like to know the opinion of poeple with more knowledge than I do xD!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
First questions is, how did you connect the new radio? Did you completely cut off the old connector and spliced all the wires, or did you get one of the adapters that are out there?

What kind of radio was it anyway? Also, might want to check your fuse box to see if anything blew.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,286 Posts
I agree with camryman, get the wiring back to original and start from square one. Look for an installation adapter, most places that sell stereos will wither have them or know where to get them. Then if thikngs are still not working start looking for blown fuses, remember there are fuses in the cabin and in the engine compartment.

·
My leather so soft
566 Posts
The only fuse that could be bad, and probably is, would be the fuse that controls the radio, which is on the radio itself. You have a short somewhere on the harness, and that's why your clock and dome light won't work. When you pull on the harness to plug the radio in, you make contact between the wire and a metal ground, which causes a short. When you release the harness when you unplug the radio you release the short. A short would also cause the radio fuse to blow, which is why neither radio is working. Post a picture of the radio harness on the car as best you can. I will help you find the problem. I'm talking about getting in the dash with a flashlight so we can see it's entirety.

And here's a tip. When installing a radio, always use an adapter harness. And NEVER connect wires with only electrical tape. Always use the proper crimps, heat shrink if you can, and then wrap the connections in electrical tape for added insulation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts