trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
What's PB Blaster?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried everything to get this thing off and no socket i have tried seems to fit the nuts on my sensor(after the cat) and i don't have room to try vice grips!

Any ideas?
Is there an easy spot i can unplug this to take the muffler out and then disconnect the sensor?

·
Registered
1992 xtra cab 4x4
356 Posts
i posted a thread about this maybe 3 weeks ago.
i know its tight, but i managed to get in there with a pair of needle nose vice grips held at an angle to the stud/bolt and a generous dosing of pb blaster.
took me about a half hour turning it an eighth turn at a time, but it came off eventually.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
I had to remove that one when I put a TRD exhaust on my 04 Tacoma. I could not get a socket on the nuts (its not a bolt....studs are welded onto the exhaust) because the nuts were completely rotted out. I had to cut the shroud off with tin snips (the shroud is cheap at the dealer) and then took a hacksaw (a dremel might work also) and slit the nuts in half and then they backed out. Are you replacing your exhaust? If so you could just cut the studs with a hacksaw because its all getting replaced anyways, jsut keep the O2 sensor gasket.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143112&page=2

POst 21 on has a little info on it....memory is getting foggy :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, the reason i'm being picky about taking everything off neatly adn cleanly is because I'm not sure how the exhaust i have will sound. If it sounds ricey(like a fart can) then i'll just put my original exhaust back on. I've already got new gaskets for the sensor and the exhaust. I think i'll try the needle nose visegrip at an angle idea. might work. . . . i'd much rather not cut anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dmb questions here, what size socket SHOULD those nuts be?

Unfortunately looks like i'm gonna have to just suck it up, take a chance, cut the studs off, and then install the new one. . . . .

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
icecold_ii said:
cut the studs off,
Honestly, that should be the last case scenerio. Its worth a shot cutting the shroud off. You'd have better access to the rotted nuts then maybe you could get them off, I cut them with a regular hacksaw and then they backed right off, saving the studs, maybe the pliers would work for you without the shroud. Does the O2 sensor "unplug" on the other end, I never researched it. G/L.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As Promised. . . .

I finally solved my Sensor problem, bolted up the new exhaust and sounds great!!! i'm def. happy with it. EXCEPT one thing, the mid-way hangers won't hook to the stock ones:-\

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.