Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a few weeks ago, I bought an 87' short bed pickup with a stock 22rtec and 142,000 miles on it. It ran ok for about a week, the waste gate was stuck shut so if you weren't careful the turbo would boost 15 lbs :eek:. I fixed that with some penatrating oil. Anyways it would die sometimes and be hard to start and finally after a week of driving it, I was criusing along and it started to backfire, miss, and run REAL bad, the tachometer was also going all over the place and then finally died and would not re-start. I let it sit for a day, it ended up having a leaky fuel pressure regulator that I replaced and I also replaced the fuel pump, it then fired right up and I drove it for a few miles and then it sputtered and died just like before. So I made it flash code and it was giving me a code 6 which is "RPM signal (crank angle sensor)" After looking all over the front of the engine and back by the bellhousing for some kinda crank position sensor and not finding one, I figured it must get the RPM signal from the electronic points, so after waiting a few days I replaced them and it fired right up. I let it idle for 30 minutes, then drove it a few miles and it started to backfire and run like crap the tachometer was going crazy as well, anyways instead of dying I was able to baby it back home while it ran crappy but it did at least run, which is either an improvement or just a coincidence. I made it flash code again and its giving me a code 6 again, also code 10 "starter signal", code 11 "switch signal" and code 14 "turbocharger pressure". Holy crap someone please help me! Any ideas? Cause I'm fresh out.

·
Registered
84 SR5 pickup
553 Posts
reset the ECU and run it again. see what codes it gives you. def ignition related but it could be a bad ignition pickup, igniter or alot of other possibilities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts