Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1990 tercel with 99k. It bogs when I give it alot of gas and there is an oil leak (not from the valve cover gasket) that is making oil-smoke come into the cabin. Any ideas? I know it just had a tuneup and it had a timing belt put on 1.5k ago.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
136 Posts
well, if it has a carbuerator maybe it needs some adjustment? By no means should you have smoke coming into the passenger compartment. You might want to check for holes in the floor, or exhaust leaks in the system somewhere.

Sounds like it's bogging because it's getting way too much fuel...

·
Registered
219 Posts
yeah, i have a 1989 tercel, and i have the same problem in my car, but it's really inconsistent. especially when it's cold does this happen. the solution is to get some carb cleaner and clean all the gunk off of the outside, not the inside. if tha doesnt work, just go ahead and get a new carb, japanese slide carbs suck.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
The oil leak may be a blown seal, similar to the axle seal I just blew out of my transmission today. Looks like I'll be fixing that tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
new bad symptoms

I cannot even accelerate to 55 mph! It is running that slow and hesitating. It is like at a certain flow, the car cannot handle the flow. Maybe I have to bring it to a mechanic, but do you guys have any ideas? I tried carb cleaning because of maybe carbon buildup. It only has 99k miles.

-Andy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check your air filter and make sure it's decent and nothing is blocking the intake tract

check your spark plug wires, they may be sparking between each other...

start your engine, pop your hood, and get a water spray bottle, and spray them with water and see if you see them arcing with each other...(best to do in semi-dark/dark if possible so you can see the arcing good)

Also make sure the wires are at their proper locations
---------------------------------------------------------

Also you can try this...Start engine and take note how it sounds, then turn it off. pull one plug wire from one plug, and start engine and see if it stumbles, and do that one at a time with each plug wire...Make sure you have engine off, pull plug wire, then start it up...see if it stumbles, then turn engine back off, and reattach plug wire
Do that for each wire...if it doesn't stumble for one of the cylinders, then you may have a dead cylinder/bad plug,etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new things

I replaced the fuel filter. It looked dirty. Now, the new one only fills up about 15% with fuel even though I see it spraying in there. Is that ok? I also checked the spark plugs and they were white. What does that mean? How do I test out the o2 sensor?

-Andy

·
Registered
219 Posts
haha white spark plugs, replace those babies! and yeah i was going to mention the fuel fitler, but forgot, and also, check your return line (from your fuel pump) to see if everything's coming through

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wire placement

Can somebody give me a general map of how the spark plug wires match up on the distributor according to the cylinder? I just wanna make sure everything is ok..................previous owner seemed that dumb.

-Andy

·
Registered
95 Tercel DX 5 speed
11 Posts
Problem with the 3e is that the Catalytic converter gets clogged sometime after 100k usually. It will run ok until you drive down the road a bit and then it just bogs down.
Remove the cat completely and replace it with another cat, some flex pipe, or knock out the crap inside and put it back in. If you don't fix it, the engine will blow itself up pretty much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts