Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local 4wheelparts today to get a quote for these wheels. The employee told me I need the "hub" centric version. Ive read here to get the "lug" centric ones. Can you guys with these wheels verify which are the ones I need. Thanks....Im looking at the 17x8

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Me too, I wonder why they went up so much???

+1 on the lugcentric :thumbup:
Maybe they read TN, and noticed that everybody wants them ..... they look awesome!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Personally, they are my favorite after market wheel.
+1. It would be nice if they would offer a 16x8 or 16x8.5 version with a -6mm or -12mm offset .....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. Im tossing around the idea of putting aftermarket wheels on my truck....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you guys getting your ProComps from 4wheelparts? I went to tirepackage.com and it looks alot like the 4wheelparts site...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm confused about Lug or hub centric thing too.

My factory steelies are hub centric.

I've heard some say their factory alloys are lug centric.

Wouldn't hub centric also be lug centric as well ? Making it even stronger ?

Where would I find an "official" answer ? and not just someone's opinion.

I'm looking for some black alloys and would like to get it right the first time.

·
catch me if you can
07 xrunner
284 Posts
Factory wheels are hub-centric. The lug nuts have a flat seating surface, therefore the wheels need to be mounted on the hub from possible shifting around at high-speeds or when hitting bumps.

Aftermarket wheels are lug-centric since their center bores are large to fit a variety of vehicles. The lug holes on the wheels have a angled seating service (60 deg), so the lug nuts have this same angled design (that is how the lugs nuts center the wheel and are therefore called lug-centric wheels). None of the weight is on the hub anymore, but on the lugs.

Using a hub-centric ring will allow the wheel to be centered as soon as you mount it (like factory wheels), not relying on the lugs nuts to "self center" the wheel. With the rings your aftermarket wheels are now HUB *AND* LUG-centric.

·
SHIFT this
691 Posts
I'm confused about Lug or hub centric thing too.

My factory steelies are hub centric.

I've heard some say their factory alloys are lug centric.

Wouldn't hub centric also be lug centric as well ? Making it even stronger ?

Where would I find an "official" answer ? and not just someone's opinion.

I'm looking for some black alloys and would like to get it right the first time.
You've opened a whole can of worms my friend...it seems everyone has got an argument or opinion on this issue. Check out this thread:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234943&highlight=centric

Have fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
06 Prerunner Sport
9 Posts
I got the 6089 chrome wheel in 17x8 from 4Wheel parts in 2/07. You need the non hubcentric ones listed on the site. The last 2 digits of the part # should be 83 (ie 7089-xx83) for the Toyotas. The other listed 6 x 5.5 ends in 38 (7089 - xx38) these have a smaller center bore and wont fit our trucks.

The fitment for our trucks is good very little space between the hub and bore only couple mm. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
would i just go to a local tire shop to get them test fitted? how do i do it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts