Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an example of a 2019 Camry from a local dealer, VIN: 4T1B11HK0KU245471

My question is how can there be a 245471 build number in 2019?...wouldn't that put the build date in 2018.

I also see a lot of 2019 Camrys with production numbers in the 800,000 range. How can that be possible?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You go by the 10th digit by the VIN. That confirms the year of the vehicle. And the date on the door jam is the build of the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
wouldn't that put the build date in 2018.
And????

My 2016 Corolla was purchased February 2016 and built in October 2015.
My 2003 Tundra was purchased November 2002 and built in October 2002.
My 2006 Silverado was purchased August 2005 and built in July 2005. Comparing it to a buddy's 2005 GMC, we suspect that the two trucks were on the production line at the same time.
It is entirely possible/likely that there are still 2018-build-date 2019 models still on dealer lots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So every year they production count resets to zero on the VIN? In 2018 there were about 365,000 camrys built, so I was trying to understand how a 2019 car could have a VIN build in the 200,000. So I guess Toyota made more than 800,000 thus far in 2019?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You go by the 10th digit by the VIN. That confirms the year of the vehicle. And the date on the door jam is the build of the engine.
Sorry but the date on the door jam is the actual build month and year. New model production usually starts in Aug for next year. IE we're building 2020 Camrys now.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I am not sure about Toyota, but the last number may be a "check digit" that helps reject false positives on typos when entering in a VIN number. Again, I am just speculating. You can google "check digit" if you want more info on how that works. But the idea is that if make a typo while keying in a VIN number, and especially if you transpose two numbers, there will be no valid VIN that matches it (or at least very little chance).

A VIN lookup at a Toyota site says that 4T1B11HK0KU245471 (Blue Streak Metallic with black interior) was "ordered" in March 2019. That would be ordered by the regional distributor from the factory. The final assembly date is in driver's door jamb.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry but the date on the door jam is the actual build month and year. New model production usually starts in Aug for next year. IE we're building 2020 Camrys now.
When you take your car in for a state inspection, the dont go by the on door jamb. They go by the date on the VIN.

The date on the VIN identifies the build date of the chassis. The date on the door jamb is the build date of the engine.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
When you take your car in for a state inspection, the dont go by the on door jamb. They go by the date on the VIN.

The date on the VIN identifies the build date of the chassis. The date on the door jamb is the build date of the engine.
The only date on the VIN is the model year (not even the year of production, but the model year only). It is a one letter code (position 10) for a Toyota.

There are databases that can cross-reference a VIN to the final assembly date, as well as other dates such as engine assembly date or transmission assembly date (which may also be on a sticker for those parts indicating at least serial number and maybe part assembly date). I am pretty sure the sticker on the door jamb is the vehicle assembly date.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Just to test out my theory, I tried to enter the following VIN's and it said "please enter a valid VIN"

4T1B11HK0KU245470
4T1B11HK0KU245472

After doing more research, VIN numbers do have a check digit, but it is not at the end of the VIN. So I am assuming they don't start out at zero for the last six digits each model year, so as to not make customers be concerned about getting the first ones coming off the assembly line for that model year, or they possibly assign numbers in non-sequential order to keep competitors from knowing how many they have produced so far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The last 6 digits of the VIN are the production sequence of the vehicle down the line. However, they may start with any number for the first car. Most cars start with car #100001 being the first car built. But that isn't written in stone. They may decide to start with 300001 as the first car or 500001 as the first car. But the production of each car is relative to what the first number was they used at the beginning of the model year for that car. For example, if the beginning car is #300001 and you own car #402935, that would mean your car was the 102,935th Camry made at that plant.

My 2019 Camry XSE ends in 168186. It was built in September of 2018, an early '19 model. If they indeed started with car #100001 being the first '19 made, then my car is the 68,186th Camry built in Georgetown, KY for model year 2019.

I, too, have seen those cars with the VINs in the production sequence beginning with 8 as someone mentioned. I have no definite idea why that is as I doubt they made 700,000 '19 Camrys at Georgetown. So, my speculation on that is that possibly they have a weekend shift there and they began their VINs for the cars they built with 8. Purely speculation on my part but that would make it easy for Toyota to tell at a glance if a certain problem begins popping up sporadically if it might only be on the cars made during the week vs. cars made on weekends and vice versa.

And the date listed on the door is the month and year the vehicle was MANUFACTURED.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
And the date listed on the door is the month and year the vehicle was MANUFACTURED.
Or more accurately, the date of FINAL ASSEMBLY. The engine, transmission, and all other parts are manufactured ahead of time at various different times, often at various different locations.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Or more accurately, the date of FINAL ASSEMBLY. The engine, transmission, and all other parts are manufactured ahead of time at various different times, often at various different locations.
That is exactly what I meant. All of the other parts had been manufactured before that but the car was put together on that date. And as we know, they only indicate the month, not the exact day.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That is exactly what I meant. All of the other parts had been manufactured before that but the car was put together on that date. And as we know, they only indicate the month, not the exact day.
Doesn't your door jamb sticker indicate the exact final assembly date (I realize the VIN does not)? I know some automakers list the exact final assembly date on the door jamb sticker.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi mark888. Let me preface what I'm going to say here by stating the 2019 Camry XSE I own is my first Toyota so I am no expert on them. However, all of the car manufacturers follow the same basics with their VINs so I feel confident that the following will apply to all auto manufacturers.

First, let me say I am a numbers guy. I have loved numbers and math and anything related since I was a kid. I have been heavily involved in Corvettes since I bought my first one back in 1971. I still own one today too, 48 years later. And I used to write articles for several Corvette magazines. I began a registry strictly for 1963 Corvettes in the mid-70s and in that job, I was involved with the VINs for those cars on a daily basis. So, yes I am very familiar with VINs and their meanings.

Prior to 1981, all manufacturers employed their own system for their VINs as far as the information they contained as well as the format they used. As computers became more and more common in business, the auto manufacturers realized they needed to adopt a uniform system for their VINs. So, in 1981 ALL VINs began a uniform 17-digit format. The same information was included in each one. That has been covered already in other posts but my point is that what Toyota uses is exactly like what GM or Tesla or Rolls Royce uses in its format.

Along with my interest in the VINs, I also was fascinated with the door-jamb stickers (decals) affixed to each vehicle as it is built. And while I haven't seen every door-jamb sticker on every car, I have seen a lot of them and they all included the month and year of manufacture but I have never seen one which indicated the exact day the vehicle was made.

Additionally, I am attaching a pic of the door-jamb sticker that is on my 2019 Camry XSE. On it you will see the date of manufacture as 09/18, month and year only.

I hope this has offered some support in what I said but am always willing to listen to proof otherwise.

PIC ATTACHED:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
And while I haven't seen every door-jamb sticker on every car, I have seen a lot of them and they all included the month and year of manufacture but I have never seen one which indicated the exact day the vehicle was made.

I hope this has offered some support in what I said but am always willing to listen to proof otherwise.
I was "asking" about Toyota, because I don't have one at the moment to check. But here is a door jamb sticker from another automaker that has the exact data of final assembly (manufacture). Note that I have obscured the last three digits of the VIN for privacy reasons:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
4T4BE46K08R027652 -- 11/07 -- TMMK
  • 4 -- Country
  • T -- Manufacturer
  • 4 -- Division
  • B -- Safety Braking (Rating?)
  • E -- Series
  • 46 -- Body Style Chassis Type
  • K -- Engine Type
  • 0 -- Check Digit