Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
What can be said is that there is a lot of info on the internet and there seems to not be a good source of information whether by a Toyota Parts Dealer, a Wiki, or a forum. In addition it seems that both new and old information may be entwined with each other leading to in accurate information.

Case in point ^^^

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I think we are getting way off subject. The original questions was whether one can determine the number of units produced in that year for a particular model by the production number of the VIN. The answer provided by dooscoop32 is that the production number does not necessarily start with zero, so no you cannot.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
"Finally, the last six digits numbers used by Toyota to identify the vehicle internally. While these digits are often assumed to indicate when a vehicle was produced (i.e. 000001 would be the first car produced, 000002 would be the second), this is not always the case. "

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was "asking" about Toyota, because I don't have one at the moment to check. But here is a door jamb sticker from another automaker that has the exact data of final assembly (manufacture). Note that I have obscured the last three digits of the VIN for privacy reasons:

View attachment 283196
OK then. I just never have seen that before so now I guess Hyundai does do that. I also own a 2006 Kia Spectra which is the same company as Hyundai and I just now checked its door-jamb sticker and it only included the month and year of manufacture, 04/06, April of 2006. And my Kia also was made in Korea just like the Hyundai above. So, as I said, I haven't seen all of those stickers but I will say the one above is the only one I have ever seen which included the day along with the month and year.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
OK then. I just never have seen that before so now I guess Hyundai does do that. I also own a 2006 Kia Spectra which is the same company as Hyundai and I just now checked its door-jamb sticker and it only included the month and year of manufacture, 04/06, April of 2006. And my Kia also was made in Korea just like the Hyundai above. So, as I said, I haven't seen all of those stickers but I will say the one above is the only one I have ever seen which included the day along with the month and year.
Hyundai owns about 33% of Kia, and Kia owns about 20% (on average) of several Hyundai subsidiaries that do R&D, make parts, etc. So they do have an extensive technology and parts sharing relationship, but the companies are actually separate now. At one time between 1998 and about 2007, Hyundai did own 51% of Kia, but no longer.

There has also been at least one Hyundai vehicle that was made at a Kia plant in the USA, along side the Kia version, but not sure if they still do that.

The vast majority of Hyundai's sold in the US are now made in the US, but my 2009 Hyundai Genesis was made in Korea. I don't know what Hyundai stickers look like from the Hyundai USA plants.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts