Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
14,392 Posts
To my knowledge, Toyota never published Camry production numbers broken down like that. But it’s quite rare. Just for fun, I go on Craigslist a couple times a month looking at 3rd/4th Gen Camrys, and a 5spd V6 pops up just a few times a year.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t make them valuable. I once saw a decent looking one that needed a clutch, and he was asking less than $1,000. The listing stayed up for a couple months. I don’t think it ever sold.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,674 Posts
To my knowledge, Toyota never published Camry production numbers broken down like that. But it’s quite rare. Just for fun, I go on Craigslist a couple times a month looking at 3rd/4th Gen Camrys, and a 5spd V6 pops up just a few times a year.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t make them valuable. I once saw a decent looking one that needed a clutch, and he was asking less than $1,000. The listing stayed up for a couple months. I don’t think it ever sold.
I agree- any Gen 4 Camry with a manual transmission is rare- but a Gen 4 V6 manual is extremely rare. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I'd bet that 98-99% of Camrys sold between 1997-2001 were automatics.

Back in the day when I bought my 1998 Camry, the dealership had one- ONE- Camry with a manual transmission on the lot. It was a CE model with absolutely no options... I don't even think it came with ABS brakes. The salesman admitted to me that the only reason it was on the lot was so that the dealer could advertise that they had new Camrys in stock "as low as $14,995". Most people came in because of the ad took one look at that car and ended up buying an LE automatic for a few grand more.

Anyone who really wanted a sporty 4 door Japanese sedan back then usually ended up buying a Maxima or Accord.

Manuals were a lot more common (yet still relatively rare) on those cars compared to the Camry. My best friend in high school had a sweet 99 Accord V6 Coupe with a manual. It was a really nice car. It drove circles around my 98 Camry.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,216 Posts
Just picked up a '99 LE V6 with a 5 speed. Not having much luck finding production numbers online. How rare is a 4th gen 5 speed V6???
Welcome to the cult, brother/sister! I've got the same, '99 LE V6 manual. Mine's Super White, leather, moonroof, alarm, and black pearl emblems.

Man, I was searching for over a year before I found this one. Paid $1800; it has numerous problems and the guy probably would have taken $1200 but whatever. The difficult stuff like interior and body are in great shape.

·
Administrator
14,392 Posts
Back in the day when I bought my 1998 Camry, the dealership had one- ONE- Camry with a manual transmission on the lot. It was a CE model with absolutely no options... I don't even think it came with ABS brakes. The salesman admitted to me that the only reason it was on the lot was so that the dealer could advertise that they had new Camrys in stock "as low as $14,995". Most people came in because of the ad took one look at that car and ended up buying an LE automatic for a few grand more.
Yep. On the Gen3 in ‘92 when I was shopping for mine, the base trim was the DX, which was stripped to the bone if no options were ordered. Manual trans, manual windows and locks, no A/C, no power antenna, and probably a few other things I’m forgetting. I don’t recall seeing a lot of DX’s on dealer lots, and certainly not one stripped bare like that. Most that I saw were ordered w/ auto trans and A/C. The catalog showed the V6 was an option on the DX, but I’ve NEVER seen one anywhere with it. At that time, the V6 was a $1000 option, so it would’ve been a very strange thing to do.

9 out of 10 used Gen 3 Camrys I see on CL with a manual trans are DX’s.

The unicorn of Gen3 Camrys is the V6 coupe with a 5spd. I think I’ve seen one or two on CL. Never seen one in person.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
2,656 Posts
V6-5MT FTW!

When I bought my '93 Gen3 SE model, I'd had a '92 AT XLE for one year, heard the MT was becoming available and immediately sold the '92 and ordered the '93. Been driving it ever since. The following year, with the introduction of the 1MZ motor, they dropped the V6 manual, eventually brought it back again with the Gen4, but Toyota sold only like 1% like that, in any of the following years, Sedan or Solara Coupe.

If you find a manual Camry hang on to it. I'm well along in a project to restore mine (hopefully to get another 25 years of trouble free use out of it).

By the way, regarding the fact that most people shopping for sporty sedans did choose the very nice Accords and Maximas: Camrys can handle like turds out of the box, but if you reduce the rear toe to the minimum of the factory range, it sharpens up the handling very nicely. I'd had mine aligned a few times by the dealer, but it always plowed like a farming implement. Then I took it to a race shop, the proprietor asked me, "how would you like it to handle?" and he's who I had align it from then on. Amazing what a difference an adjustment can make.

Norm "don't need to stinkin' auto" Kerr

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
2,656 Posts
Regarding availability of a V6 with a manual transmission, I looked up some things:

Camry:
During Gen3, the V6-5MT combination was only available during one model year: 1993 (with the 3VZ-FE V6, and E53 5MT)

The 1MZ-FE V6, used from '94MY ("Gen3.5" Camry) had no manual option until the Gen4 launch of '97. That MT was called E153 (similar to E53 but now commonized with the MR2, though they used different final drive ratios). The Gen3 Camry Coupe ('94 ~ '96) had no MT option for its V6 version.

Camry dropped MT option with its V6 at the end of the '01MY.

Solara:
From its '99 launch, until '02 it did have a 1MZ with E153 5MT option, but the manual was dropped from '03 ~ '08 end of production.

What does this all mean? Not much, just that not many were sold, and that Americans are lazy and shiftless (kidding!).

Norm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.