Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using a broken key fob with just the key for about a year now, use the spare you might say, but my smart girlfriend decided shed key the spare to unlock it so she wouldn't wait for me to open the door for her, and lost it. Does anyone know the process of programming new keys?

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE, 4 cyl
672 Posts
You will need tech stream to program the new keys. You will find tutorials here and on You Tube showing you how.

If 4 keys are already stored in your computer it will be more difficult because you will need to go through an elaborate procedure to remove them before you can add more. This involves paying an online service to obtain a special key code which you will need to enter through tech stream to erase the codes. This procedure is also used when you replace your ignition lock. Details are on You Tube.

Alternative-
If you have a working key, see if they can cut you a key from an earlier Toyota which does not have the chip in it to save you a few dollars. Once you have verified it will turn the ignition and the door, un-clip the sensing coil which surrounds your ignition lock, tape you old key to it and bury it inside your steering column. If you are concerned someone could use that key to steel you car, cut the head off the key and tape the head only to the coil. This is a trick used often when remote starters are installed.

You will never need to deal with a chipped key or program.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I've been using a broken key fob with just the key for about a year now, use the spare you might say, but my smart girlfriend decided shed key the spare to unlock it so she wouldn't wait for me to open the door for her, and lost it. Does anyone know the process of programming new keys?

where do you live?

I'm in socal and can help you out.

·
Premium Member
2001 Corolla
544 Posts
correct me if i am wrong, when it comes to programming key with techstream, it only programs the immobilizer so that the key is able to start the car, the key-less entry and trunk pop will not work and i have not seen no DYi on how to program the keyless entry after getting programmed the new keys to start the car

·
Registered
2014.5 Toyota Camry
41 Posts
You can use Techstream to program everything on the FOB. There are plenty of threads, you just have to search for them. I've also seen many in the sections for the Corolla, Tundra, Rav4. You just have to look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.