Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as my I have done a little research on what i could do with my car.

Since its 200k and auto, and thanks to turbo_GT, i have enough life in my engine to starting customizing the car.

Before i get started tho, I wanted to get tips/advice on any of the things i outline here.

*Keep in mind im in Canada, and these are canadian dollars*

1) K&N Air Filter - Toyota Dealership approx $64 installed. Hope this gives me a little more power, but overall just looking for a cleaner and longer lasting engine.

2) K&N Oil Filter - Don't have price yet, so any info will help. Basically hoping for the same results as the air filter

3) New Belts and Hoses - From what i have found, the Timing belt will really help the engines life. As for hoses, i have found a few that seem to be a little weak, but nothing demanding attention.

4) Fluid Replacements and Cleaners - prolly going to run premium gas through her for a little bit and keep the RPM's high to break down any carbon deposits in the engine.

Once this is done, ill see how the engine is running. If something needs to be done that will take priority. However if not, i would like to continue with:

5) Cold Air Intake - was going to go with RAM air, but i won't be hitting the necessary speeds to make RAM air actually useful, so hopefully cold air is a better option (how much HP should this add?)

6) Custom Exhaust - looks good, sounds good hopefully performs well =)

7) Ground Kit - Although i probably will give in before this point and buy one i am hoping to pick up a kit from PAKEIFER (sorry if i spelt that wrong). Its the Red Celica he has on his 'New Lip' post.

Anyway, that is all I have in mind for now. Although new Rims and breaks will probably interupt that plan =P. If anyone has any ideas on costs and difficulty, it would help very much. Oh, and if any of this has been covered in other posts, i appologize, but i have done quite a bit of reading and can't remember where i read it all lol.

Thanks
John.

Attachments

·
Boooost
159 Posts
if you want a ram air..i have the pipe that im giving away..let me know if you want it....my exhaust...sale is pending..but if it doesn't go through...i'll let you see it...hear it..and if you're interested..then we'll talk...and stay with the premium gas...it just feels better with it...let me know what else you need for your car..cuz i have a few parts lying around...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
still looking into the ram air and all that. Work is getting in the way of research, lol.

however i have just come across a new problem. My car was broken into the other night and the dash lights wouldn't work, 2 days later i tested them again and they worked.

Anyone know what could have caused the outtage and if it could happen again when say im driving down the hwy at 140 at 3am in the morning =P

Thanks

oh, im also debating whether or not to put turbo into my car. Im just wondering what kind of effects it will have on the engines life, or if it is just better to do the swap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i dont know if turboing an engine with 200000 miles on it is the best idea...even though when done right and kept at low boost turbos wont hurt the car but the money and time you put into it with the little hp gains wont to me be worth it. in my opinion

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i wasn't thinking it would be a good idea either.
was looking into an engine overhaul, but can't get anyone to give me a price...anyone know approx what I would be looking at?

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
shouldnt cost more than about 6-7 hundred dollars i could imagine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Short RAM + bottom end of the stock air box = superior to CAI (only applicable for our cars though) :)

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
SamGTS said:
Short RAM + bottom end of the stock air box = superior to CAI (only applicable for our cars though) :)
Only problem is that with the bottom end of the air box you won't be able to fit the conic filter in, I already tried that and the air box is big enough to not let you place the filter there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
about the dash lights you didnt accedentally turn the light nob with your leg or anything did you?? i moved mine one time after installg some subs and i freaked for about 30 seconds cuz i thought i had shorted somethin but then i was like haha oh yea... i am stupid

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
naw, that knob that adjusts the brightness doesn't work so its not that i just dimmed it. maybe i hit it and it knocked something loose, but at any rate, the dash lights work now so hopefully they stay that way.

Im getting really excited now, i am REALLY close to finally getting her on the road. Not only will i soon be able to drive her, i will also soon be able to start saving money to upgrade parts and such =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
actualyl, i was able to get my entire cone filter to fit into the box...ill take a picture of it when i get a chance, but yes, the entire filter does fit into the bottom end of the box

·
Boooost
159 Posts
just get a drop in filter by k&n....i think that short rams are not that good..because it's just inside the engine bay (hot)...doesn't have a scoop or anything in my opinion..short rams are just for show....i think that the best thing to do is just get a drop-in fliter..because it's already designed to get cooler air...and has the box to protect it from the heat..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i think the air filter will be sufficent too. crappy tire good enough to buy the K&N air and oil filters? or should i go to a place that knows more about the cars and the products?

also short ram = cold air intake?

Oh, and the insurance company sent back my application today. Appears the i missed one of the fields, so now i have to wait another 3 weeks (approx) to get this damned insurance!

Any GTA ppl have any recomendations for insurance company's?

·
Registered
Dodge Caravan SE
310 Posts
Don't go with cooperators.. they screwed me over :p

Canadian tire is fine for K&N air filters.. Seeing as they order them in from K&N :D Prices are fairly close no matter where you go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the K&N cai and although it sounds great, even with the ramair pipe instaklled to the front airdam, I could notice no real change in performance...

If performance is the target for you stick with a replacement panel filter in your standard airbox...wont sound as good but best performance gain!!

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Hmmm... having the same car with the same engine I can say I DID have an improvement on the high rev band.... only downside was that I lost a LOT of torque off the line, so if you are the kind of person that likes to rip the road on green I wouldn't advise the cone filter... stick to your stock air box with a drop in replacement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
oh damn >_< and i been having this Ractive intake for what? Damn i better switch it back to my stock with a drop in filter then =D that sounds much better =D. And i get this high pitch noise everytime i start my car off the first time in the morning, the new aftermarket airintake sucks in so much air maybe cuz my RPM is high when i first start, it annoyes me and makes my neigbour think my car is gonna blow up or something =D ahaha

·
^
4,197 Posts
Maverick_09 said:
yeah i think the air filter will be sufficent too. crappy tire good enough to buy the K&N air and oil filters? or should i go to a place that knows more about the cars and the products?

also short ram = cold air intake?

A short ram doesn't place the filter as low as a CAI, it ususally just extends about a foot or so from the throttle body.

There isn't really a point in getting a KN filter then an intakes, its a waste of money. If you already got the filter then you may be better off to cut up the bottom of the stock airbox. If you want a drop in, email www.elementautoworks.com. They're local.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts