Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the advent of several new builds i decided to start a build thread from the beginning and follow with pics.

i'm buying this car today actually it's a 91' Red Sedan Auto
250XXX miles with a bit of a knock but for 300$ i'm not complaining:rolleyes:

im buying this car because the body looked perfect it just needs a window and a door which i already have...:clap:

Anyway i'm trying to decide whether stripping it down and doing some seam-welding will be worth it...
i'ts very time-consuming and i would have to pretty much strip the car to nothing...

anyway Pics to follow...(once it arrives at my house)

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it should be here soon.. i can't wait to get started...

i've seen good things with "seam" welding where somebody on cardomain with a 20v sedan did his engine-bay.
it looked like 500 spot welds, i would have just flowed them together... but in the end it looked great and prob worked pretty well...

i guess a cage is my only option... i didn't want to corollas with full-cages so i will have to decide which builds just gets a roll-bar/harness bar...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Spot welding isnt the proper way to do it. You weld 1" seam and then you leave 1" unwelded, then continue with that pattern. If you have the welding skills to do it, i'd go for it. It stiffens the car up alot.

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's what i thought... thanks flashmn

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
yea but his point being is it a waste of time.... if he gunna track the car & actually feel the differance in doing this, then id say yes! but if he just gunna build another street beater then i would spend my time elsewhere ! either way it comes down to what you wanna do with this build..

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
even the street-beater could use some stiffening...

considering how stiff my suspension is already it's obvious i will either be welding in a solid cage or just do some stiffening in certain areas that would normally flex.

i'm thinking about just seam-welding the engine-bay and front door jams (rear-doors will prob be welded shut)

Oh and i have the car now, for 300$ i'm not disappointed. it needs a few things like a front-windscreen but i have most/all it needs off another car.
can't freakin wait..

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they half to be welded shut for circle-track racing...

here is an example

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's finally here!

Now i'm up to 4 sedans :naughty:

So the project begins...
it looks like seam-welding might wait until AE92 #5... just to keep the project moving faster (don't have a welder ATM)

So the Tear-down begins i shouldn't have to worry about too much crap but my die-grinder just crapped on me today so no sanding for now...

·
AE92DX 4AFTE
ae92
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm seriously considering how much to do to this car... as far as making it another "street Beater" as danny put it

i can't decide how far to go :disappoin i do know that it will be converted to 5-speed and turbo-charged.

I'm considering just using 4age internals and replacing all the seals and get a "rebuilt" head and 2.0mm HG.
if i do this i will probably us MS as well.

considering how well my black rolla is running with 151xxxmiles i will leave it alone and start the standalone project from scratch...

2)i also have the option of using the large-port and pretty much just setting up a 4age from scratch using a 4af short-block (7rib) i have laying around

·
'Rolla NiNJa
corolla 1990
156 Posts
wow jmaz you got alot sedans, dude seriously the new sedan has got to be ur japanese street car, you know what im talking about: custom body kit, 2 door conversion (bye bye back doors), slam it, and to top it off decals and a some sweet racing stripes. lol no seriously the mad max ride is cool but you know...:naughty:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.