Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i know im gonna get bashed yes i did a search but i still couldnt get a few things cleared up and i checked on hidforums.com been reading about this for 4 hours straight, so please no need to flame, im actually trying to learn about this just need top be pointed in the right direction.

Ok for the questions im just not sure what is really needed from all the reading ive done can someone tell me if this is correct:

2 projectors (from BMW or audi, etc)
2 wire harness
2 ballasts
2 igniter? (is that what it called?)

after you obtain these parts its just about basically fitting the parts into the camry housing right, i really want to do this project on my own b/c many have done it here and i really like the look of it better than them damn hyper whites i just put it it even though that is good for now.

Also how much have the parts run people that have done it themselves, and finally even though there has been some debate i think to my understanding clear the lenses for the low beam (to be replaced, correct?) is pretty useless. or is that incorrect.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any help you hopefully will provide, and screw u flamers j/k :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ever thought about using older model ES300 headlights w/hid kit?

·
No Fat Bitches
2,044 Posts
Actually luxary cars all use 4100k bulbs from the factory its the housing which gives off the bluish/purple colors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UfoZ8myCow said:
Ok, to make HID projectors, you need:

Projectors (duh) - basically anything can work, provided you can actually fit it into the Camry housing. Audi projectors are usually the easiest to find. Hit up eBay and you can probably find tons of projector housings.

HID ballasts/ignitors - without these, you no have HID. This is usually not all one part, as a lot of higher end systems use external ignitors. My advice is to stick to the better brands here for quality- Hella, Bosch, etc.

Bulbs - Not just any bulb works here obviously. Phillips is probably the best brand out there. Each bulb comes with a different temperature rating (ie 6000K, 7000K, 10000K). Bigger numbers dont neccesarily mean better though. For example, most luxury cars come with something in the 6000K range. (The Audi bulbs I am using are 6300K)

As for your actual headlights themselves, no it is not necessary to clear out your lenses. Mostly people do that for looks. Beware though, if you do clear out your lenses and then feel the need to return to stock :)confused: ) later, your beam pattern will be all out of whack.

If youre going to do this yourself, youre going to need to use your oven to take your headlights apart. It is widely agreed that 200F is about the optimal temperature to use. Stick your headlight in the oven on a cookie sheet once it has been preheated. DONT just leave it there and go watch TV. After maybe 8-10 minutes, take out the headlight and use a razor to slide in and cut the glue. Once you get one side open, pry the entire assembly apart CAREFULLY. Later, when it is time to reseal your headlights, use silicone (any brand from Home Depot will work) and you will be good to go. Some people paint their headlight housings, depends on taste. If you do, just be sure to use high temp paint.

Thats about it. Have fun.
WOW thanks a million for that reply thats all i needed basically a starting point now i can basically start looking for the parts and saving up, can u give us the actual cost for yours or about what it will run need to start saving up, thanks again for the reply and all the other replies, I also will be redoing my interior this week once i get in the gauges, bezels, and bulbs and ill def post up some pics of those. Anyone know which color goes well with the red needles, im basically going for a blue type scheme. Would a blue bulb look good behind the orange needle, the one that someone redid here he went blue and red, but i think he changed the needles, but i dont want to mess with that, ill stick with the stock orange needles.

·
Registered
678 Posts
check out www.hidforum.com they will show step to step how to do it.
Basicly you will need these:
2 hella ballasts(OEM): gen 4 or gen 3
2 ignitors which came with ballasts
wiring harness: do it yourself or buy it (diy is recommended)
2 hid bulbs: 4300k or 4100k (OEM)
2 projectors: use bi-xenon projectors if your car use single bulbs for high and low. Audi, bmw usually use hella projectors, if you can get your hands on some S2K will be nice. All of those projectors will give you best result, but the s2k will give you more color flicker.

·
Registered
678 Posts
forgot to mention this, please don't buy those cheap quality kits such as those 6000k and up. 4100k and 4300k are oem, you can do a research on hidforum.com to get more basic about color and brightness.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
itzsteven said:
forgot to mention this, please don't buy those cheap quality kits such as those 6000k and up. 4100k and 4300k are oem, you can do a research on hidforum.com to get more basic about color and brightness.
yea im not gonna get the kit i say two audi projectors with the harness and igniter and holders i believe on ebay for $20 and it was ending in a few hrs this wak a few days ago but i know they arent that cheap maybe something was wrong with his hmmm, but thanks for the info ill def start saving up to get those projectors and ill DIMDS (do it my damn self)

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
Dainfamusgc said:
yea im not gonna get the kit i say two audi projectors with the harness and igniter and holders i believe on ebay for $20 and it was ending in a few hrs this wak a few days ago but i know they arent that cheap maybe something was wrong with his hmmm, but thanks for the info ill def start saving up to get those projectors and ill DIMDS (do it my damn self)
WoW all that for $20? that sounds like a good buy. all you would need are ballasts and bulbs. nice find!~

would ya let me know if you see anything similiar? i'm looking to get Audi projectors as well. Thx Dain!~

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mighty~Mart said:
WoW all that for $20? that sounds like a good buy. all you would need are ballasts and bulbs. nice find!~

would ya let me know if you see anything similiar? i'm looking to get Audi projectors as well. Thx Dain!~
def just always keep checking on ebay, you could always find good buys there i just always go with people that have great feedback never had a prob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts