Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bit of reading up on some of the previous threads, and just wanted to get you guys' opinion. I have my old stock headlights lying around so I thought I would buy some cheap (hopefully) projectors on eBay and see how the retrofitting process goes.

I was looking at these on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=320084288166&rd=1,1

So my question is, retrofitting aside, how would I hook them up to the stock headlight circuit (so they turn on and off with the same switch as they do now)? And lastly, do they look like decent lights for a first try retrofitting project?

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
register on hidplanet.com if you havent, there is a ridiculous amount of info in the faq over there that will help :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
just be prepared to shell out some$$ to get a working set.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ryanmartini said:
just be prepared to shell out some$$ to get a working set.
What makes you say that? Is there something wrong with those?

And what do you think about just getting the projector lens and housing, and using the 7500K 9006 I currenty have?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
To work with your current circuit, you would need to either make a wiring harness, or buy one from xenondepot.com.

Bi-xenon is a projector which has a solenoid switch which, when engaged, moves the cutoff shield to allow more light to go through the lens and is used a as high beam.

geoff, I wouldn't buy those projectors. $20 is extremely skeptical. When it comes to quality, price is everything when it comes to projectors. I bought my TSX projectors for $160. $20 for projectors and I wouldn't expect a very good set, trust me.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
geoff5093 said:
What makes you say that? Is there something wrong with those?

And what do you think about just getting the projector lens and housing, and using the 7500K 9006 I currenty have?
I think you haven't done enough research.

HID projectors only accept D2S or D2R HID bulbs.

Go to HIDPlanet and register for the forums, and read read read read read. I spent 2 months there just learning and reading and researching before even starting my retrofit.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those projectors are on auction, with over a day left, if they are good they will go up in price.

And I know they wouldnt really fit a 9006, but from the looks of the rear of a few projectors, you could easily make it fit.

I will go to HIDPlanet and i'll read up there. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
29 Posts
But why not also get a D2S bulb and a ballast? Once you have a projector and retrofit it would be so much better. And not much more expensive.

Also, I would recommend you do the retrofit in your DEPO headlights. Clear lens is what you want with a retrofit.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
geoff5093 said:
And I know they wouldnt really fit a 9006, but from the looks of the rear of a few projectors, you could easily make it fit.
See, here's the problem. The optics are not designed to house halogen bulbs. If you stick a halogen bulb inside of an HID projector, you're probably gonna get a weak and funky cutoff and beam. And sure, you can get the bulb in, but the only way to keep it there is to use some kind of epoxy, and on top of that, you'd better be damn sure that the bulb is perfectly level to where a D2S or D2R bulb would be, or you're gonna have a shitty output.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Also... about that ebay auction... I don't know if I'd trust anyone that called ballasts "computers"... because by definition, its not what they are, and anyone knowledgable in HID lighting can tell you that.

·
Green Gang
camry
595 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
Also... about that ebay auction... I don't know if I'd trust anyone that called ballasts "computers"... because by definition, its not what they are, and anyone knowledgable in HID lighting can tell you that.
true plus he is selling ones from a rover which are very sefisticated than regular hid...:fruit:

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
bigbird said:
what is bi-xenon? ive never herd of that.
bi-xenon is the low and high beam together.. really just a shield that moves up and down (low and high beam)

im planning to use some bi-xenons for my project.. i already order my depos he he

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
213solider said:
very sefisticated than regular hid...
I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

They aren't any more sophisticated than my Denso-Koito ballasts or any Phillips or Matsushita ballasts. They're just smaller. But they do the exact same thing.

·
Green Gang
camry
595 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

They aren't any more sophisticated than my Denso-Koito ballasts or any Phillips or Matsushita ballasts. They're just smaller. But they do the exact same thing.
well i was not but my dad owns a land rover discovery and all the parts for that car is every expensive and made just for that car..so i thought since the hid were from the rover they might be a little sophisticated "computer".but I do agree the price seams a bit too low and that it could be a scam to get people to buy his or her product.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
213solider said:
well i was not but my dad owns a land rover discovery and all the parts for that car is every expensive and made just for that car..so i thought since the hid were from the rover they might be a little sophisticated "computer".but I do agree the price seams a bit too low and that it could be a scam to get people to buy his or her product.
The thing is, all OEM ballasts are made specifically for whatever car they come out of. And all ballasts are very expensive from the dealer (something like $250 per ballast)... but picking up a good set outside of getting it from the dealership should be no less than $150 for a GOOD pair, and probably no more than $200 or so, otherwise you're getting ripped off.

The HIDs in the Rover are no different than the HID in the Porches/Lexus/Acura/BMW/etc. vehicles. The only difference is lens design, projector bowl size/design, the way they are able to be mounted, the type and size of the ballast, and the bulb brand and color temp. But even regardless of all of that, the system itself is designed in the exact same way (even when you compare D1S, D2S, and D4S systems, they are essentially the same in terms of how they work). But the ballasts are still 35W ballasts with built-in igniters, just like the Denso-Koito and the Phillips Gen 3 and 4 ballasts. They still operate in exactly the same way. The reason why the seller calls them "compuers" is because they literally have a chip inside. But by definition, its not a computer.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I would be better off buying projectors from say, HIDPlanet, that arent designed for a specific car? I was looking at some Acura's since they bulbs they use are probably one of my favorite (color output wise).

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
geoff5093 said:
So I would be better off buying projectors from say, HIDPlanet, that arent designed for a specific car? I was looking at some Acura's since they bulbs they use are probably one of my favorite (color output wise).
No, no. You're getting me all wrong. :lol: Its perfectly fine to get any projectors that are designed for any car because with some work, they can all be made to fit. For example, the TSX projectors are some of the easiest to retrofit, while the S2000 projectors are probably the hardest. The projectors that are sold on the HIDPlanet website are the BMW e46 projectors.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts