Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Are we talkin boats or airplanes?

Sorry, I'm sure there's something lost in translation but I'm not getting the "propeller" part.

:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWD models have what Toyoda calls propeller shafts. I think they are drive shaft which connects to the transaxle's and the shafts which run from the transaxle's to the wheels.

Toyota calls for a torque check of the bolts at intervals. :chug:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like to get a printout of the procedure, and the locations of the bolts, as I plan to do it myself when doing oil changes. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like to get a printout of the procedure, and the locations of the bolts, as I plan to do it myself when doing oil changes. :)

I was looking for the same info but I see that you didn't get much replies yet.

Anymone has a procedure to share? :help:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked the dealer about it and he said they no longer do that, and have not done that procedure on any vehicle in years. He can't explain why it's still listed in the owners manual.

I called Toyota help line directly and they have no information about why it's in the manual or why the dealer says it is not done anymore. :lol:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Since ost of the manuals are cuts and past with generic information with vehicle specific info baked in to the final manuscript, it is most likely an oversight in the final editing prior to publishing g.so, it's still in there......

·
Registered
venza
265 Posts
I was looking for the same info but I see that you didn't get much replies yet.

Anymone has a procedure to share?
I have found in the FSM the procedure to install the propeller shaft, which includes the torque to use, but nothing regarding a retorquing the shaft as a maintenance step. I haven't retorqued it yet (to the specified torque) but I plan on doing it at next oil change.

I will try to post what I find after I complete the procedure.

·
Registered
2012 Venza
315 Posts
It seems a lot of these items they want checked are just come-ons to get you back to the dealer so they can tell you that you need winter air put in the tires and to tell you that the muffler bearings are bad and overcharge you for items that are perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,045 Posts
I'll add that I've re-torqued them on my Tacoma a few times. I've never heard of one being loose. We're talking hundreds of members across more than one Tacoma forum and not a one being loose. There were also a could differing lines of thought on the process too. Do you simply see if they're tight, or do you break them loose and re-tighten? I believe most agree on the former over the latter. After 137K miles and almost 9 years, I don't think the step is necessary. I think it's one of those "safety" steps in the maintenance guide to cover their a$$es liability-wise in case of problems.

·
Registered
2010 Venza V6 AWD
13 Posts
It seems a lot of these items they want checked are just come-ons to get you back to the dealer so they can tell you that you need winter air put in the tires and to tell you that the muffler bearings are bad and overcharge you for items that are perfectly fine.
Indeed I think the same as my mechanic said no need to re-torque. They do not get loose except something goes wrong and the parts need replaced but when than happens noise starts to develop first etc. like for any other broken part.

·
Registered
2010 Venza V6 AWD
13 Posts
I'll add that I've re-torqued them on my Tacoma a few times. I've never heard of one being loose. We're talking hundreds of members across more than one Tacoma forum and not a one being loose. There were also a could differing lines of thought on the process too. Do you simply see if they're tight, or do you break them loose and re-tighten? I believe most agree on the former over the latter. After 137K miles and almost 9 years, I don't think the step is necessary. I think it's one of those "safety" steps in the maintenance guide to cover their a$$es liability-wise in case of problems.
Indeed I think the same as my mechanic said no need to re-torque. They do not get loose except something goes wrong and the parts need replaced but when than happens noise starts to develop first etc. like for any other broken part.

P.S.
I requested from dealer the procedure anyway twice in 220k miles (350k km)...they could not find any loose bolt so I stopped requesting it (some dealers charge for that now too).

·
Registered
2012 Venza I4 AWD
7 Posts
So my exhaust heat shield broke loose and while under to reattach found one nut and washer missing and one about half way off the stud. I tightened the one that was there and replaced the missing one. Could not find a torque value so I made it as tight as I thought necessary with a 3/8 drive ratchet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I never once checked the propellor shaft nuts on my '03 4Runner eventhough the service manaul said to do it also. Had that truck for 11 years no problems there at all. Same goes for my '13 Venza AWD. It was torqued at the factory and still seems to be holding. If you happen to be under the car with a torque wrench set to spec, give them a shot, won't hurt otherwise let your conscience be your guide. -TM-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts