Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Solara SLE, V6, 356,000 miles
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys - Where is the proper place to put your car lift pads on a 2008 ES 350? I'm assuming 2008 Camry similar frame setup. I was unable to get the rear pads onto the flat area just after the pinch weld. pads are too big to fit in there. I ended up putting the rear on the frame that runs all the way to the front, and then in the front, put on the flat area just outside the frame. it seemed more stable than just using the frame. Is there a better way?

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
If you are talking about the car hoist, I always put the front arms on the frame and the rear arms with an extension on the pinch welds for my 08 Camry. Anywhere else is not that feasible, or at the very least not with the four different types of hoists that I have used.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are talking about the car hoist, I always put the front arms on the frame and the rear arms with an extension on the pinch welds for my 08 Camry. Anywhere else is not that feasible, or at the very least not with the four different types of hoists that I have used.
Thanks for your reply. So you are using the pinch welds in the rear to put your lift pads on? The thought crossed my mind, but I was afraid to do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. So you are using the pinch welds in the rear to put your lift pads on? The thought crossed my mind, but I was afraid to do that.
Please don't ever lift a car by the pinch weld. I know it is taught a lot, but it is a sure way to ruin a car. The pinch weld is not a structural lift point. It will crack and rust will get an early start. Why do so many cars rust out on the pinch weld? That's right, they get lifted there all the time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please don't ever lift a car by the pinch weld. I know it is taught a lot, but it is a sure way to ruin a car. The pinch weld is not a structural lift point. It will crack and rust will get an early start. Why do so many cars rust out on the pinch weld? That's right, they get lifted there all the time.
okie, dokie. happen to know where the lift points are located for these vehicles?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find a structural member. I like to use the sub frame.
hmmm, don't think the lift arms will reach all the way to the rear subframe. will take a look.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
okie, dokie. happen to know where the lift points are located for these vehicles?
A majority of shops I believe are not gonna have specific adapters other than an extension for the hoist. As far as I know, when using the hoist you have four points of contact which will slightly lessen the load on on each arm. This might assist in not destroying pinch welds unless the car is heavily rusted. In comparison, using a hydraulic jack on one point of a car means only that point will take in all that weight and will eventually bend.

All I can say is try it out. If you don't like using the pinch welds then while you have the car in the air search for a better lift point.

The most important aspect of lift the car is safety and stability. As unsaid before, in the Gen 6 Camry I found the best points are the front frame and the rear pinch welds. Anywhere else is sketchy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wish i had taken a few photos. will do next time it’s up and get back

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The pinch welds literally have notches in them to show show you where to position a jack. The owner's manual shows these points as the proper place to place a jack when changing the tire. It's fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check it out! Apparently there is some sort of lift attachment designed to cradle the pinch points.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there are these for floor jacks

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
Check it out! Apparently there is some sort of lift attachment designed to cradle the pinch points.
If you want to get it and use it, I say do it. "Most shops" I doubt will use much of these.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.