Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Cressida with the 7M-GE engine that I recently took apart and put back together after changing out the head gasket among other things. Now I have a problem and want to verify some things.

First off, one of my buddies took off the cam gears without taking note of how it was installed. But when I went to install the cam gears, I used the middle hole out of the 3 small holes. Is this correct?

Second, when setting the timing belt, the service manual says to align the cam gears, and set the crank pulley to ZERO. http://yotarepair.com/7M-GEtimingbelt.html
In your experience, is this correct? Before I took the engine apart, I noticed that when the cam gears lined up with the marks up top, the crank pulley was at 5 degrees BTDC. Which is correct? Zero or five?

I installed the timing belt with the crank pulley set to zero. The problem comes when I start it. BTW, I set the distributor according to the manual too. (That is, turn the crank clockwise while looking inside the oil cap for the cam lobe, then turning it counterclockwise past 0, then back to 0. Then align the distributor shaft with the mark, and inserting it into the head.) At idle, the timing light fires at the following location:

Adjusting the distributor makes it move even farther away from the zero mark.

What did I do wrong? Does anyone have any tips for me?

·
'90 Cressida
200 Posts
that link has the pages out of toyota's service manual so its correct for sure. if you followed those directions correctly then you did the job right.

as for the ignition timing because its a new belt and therefore likely much tighter you may have to remove the dizzy and advance it one gear tooth and then readjust. all you do is remove that pinch bolt and it'll pop right out. also replace that bolt if its never been done. i've busted it off in the head, not much fun.

and yes you want the crank at 0º TDC as you did, pay attention to that service manual before your friend;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UPDATE:
I set the distributor one tooth off (clockwise when looking at the engine from the passenger's side) from the mark and BAM, started right up! Thanks! It was fine yesterday, but now my sig other says the CEL is on. Oh well, gotta troubleshoot tonight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts