Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma 4x4
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with the tow package I have a couple of questions. I bought the protegy brake control Toyota harness from R. Jays Performance(somebody on this forum recommended them). It arrived today and it has a couple of minor differances from the pigtail harness that was included with my 2006 Tacoma. It doesn't have the green wire that is located in the lower right corner of the white plug that came with the truck. On the stock schematic that is labled "headlamp switch to vehicle trail lamps." Does this matter? Also on the R. Jays harness the end that plugs into the brake controller has a white wire with a connection that attaches to a screw/bolt -like a ground connection. Is this a ground? If anyone has used this harness let me know.
Thanks
Ambrose

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes I bought and installed a Prodigy brake controller in my truck to, bought it from RV WHolesellers though. I can tell you that the while wire is a ground. It has to be grounded, I found a perfect spot for it up under the steering column there is a metal bracket that has a whole in it like its made for the ground, (same size) just put a bolt and nut thru it. The other green wire you asked about shouldn't matter if its different color, at least my instructions said to not worry if colors don't match, if you got the specific harness for your truck, it is good to go, just plug it in. If not, I would call the company you ordered from to make sure its OK, because you can fry one of those things. The controller works great, I had my 3,000 pound trailer out today with the truck and the thing stops quick and smooth, really don't even know its back there. You can adjust the controller to how sensitive or aggressive you want it. Hope that helps. You got the best controller made!
Carl

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma 4x4
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harness

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple of more questions. Did the harness you bought specify what year Tacomas it would work on. Mine said 2002- 2005--I fiqured it would work on my 2006. Did you happen to notice if your harness had 4 or 5 teminals on the white plug. The stock pigtail came with 5- the afteramrket had only 4 -it was missing the green wire I mentioned( headlamp switch to trail lamp). That wire is not mentioned on the Protegy schematic. I would figure the main tow harness would prvide power to the trailer lights. Otherwise eveything looks the same. I am trying to avoid paying the shipping to return it if I can. I agree it is a great controller - I used it on my previous truck and it performed great!
Thanks
Ambrose

1 - 3 of 3 Posts