Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 Camry 2.2, 185000 miles. (update: it was the ps pump. Read on.)

When the car is stopped and not warmed up and the steering wheel is turned hard in either direction there is a sticking or hitch in the turn. Sometimes accompanied with a squealing sound. The car steers fine down the road. After the car warms up and is driven a bit it can be stopped and the steering wheel turned hard and it works fine. I have no leaks anywhere and the steering components all seem visually ok.

After spending some time with Mr. Google it may be "morning sickness."

Via Mr Google: "For the first few minutes of driving my car, the steering is hard. Is the rack and pinion bad or the power steering pump?

This symptom is classified as "morning sickness". This condition is caused by Teflon sealing rings on the spool valve wearing grooves in the aluminum housing of the rack and pinion resulting in an internal bypass of pressure. Once the housing warms up, the metal will expand and reduce the pressure loss. The rack and pinion must be replaced.
"
-----

That seemed a slam dunk diagnosis but a poster elsewhere said that far more pumps go bad than racks. So, since it was the easiest and cheapest thing to do I installed a kit in the ps pump and it fixed the problem. $15 for a kit at amazon.com. But let me warn you about the banjo bolt that connects the pressure hose to a fitting on top of the ps pump. I unbolted the mounting brackets and dropped the pump down to where I could get at it through the wheel well. The banjo bolt was so tight it took a 1/2" drive breaker bar extended with a pipe to get it off. I held the fitting still with a crescent wrench while laying on the ground pushing against it with my foot while pushing the breaker/cheater bar with two hands in the opposite direction. It was that tight!

There are ps pump rebuild instructions with pictures by another poster here at toyota nation.

·
Registered
1998 Camry
285 Posts
Just a thought for you...

For the last year or so I've been working with a local mechanic who has opened his own shop. He replaced the rack & pinion on my 98 Camry for me for $350. That's parts, labor, and front end alignment. It was going to cost me about $200 just in parts and a front end alignment. I felt like it was well worth the money to pay him to do the job. Beats the heck out of doing the job myself laying on my back, since I don't have access to a lift.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks $350 is a great deal. A new rack at Rock Auto is about $170 including S&H. An alignment here is $100. So $80 labor for a job that difficult is a deal.

·
Registered
1998 Camry
285 Posts
Alignments run about $75 around here for regular customers. My mechanic gets a discount from his preferred alignment shop ($50), and he didn't mark that up any on my bill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts