Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my USDM 3S-GTE sitting in my friend's backyard, because I am keeping my car from being totaled. (Long story, but to sum it up, by pulling the engine my self I am saving the other guy's insurance company the cost, so they don't total my car. I expect that the repair cost will be close to $8000.)

So, I'm just trying to make sure I have all my 'bases-covered.' What do you guys reccomend I do to the engine while I have it out of the car?

So far, I am planing on getting all new hoses, gaskets, and possibly doing a rebuild with an experianced freind.

I know that their are tons of things I can do, but my budget it extremly limited at the time, and I expect that the costs of the hoses will be close to $400. (Before my discount.)

I also plan to polish just about everything in the engine bay.

What am I forgetting? What kind of suggestions do you guys have?

I plan to get a 46-Trim upgrade from Performance Techniques.

I want to make it more reliable, and performance is also a nice perk. I plan to bore out the fuel rail in hopes of correcting the common lean 3rd-Cylinder issue. The injectors will be flow tested and balanced, etc by RC Enginenering.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon Mendez

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
$8000 in repairs and it sounds like it should be totaled?
Man I wouldn't touch that car with a stick, IMHO let it go dude.

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toysrme said:
$8000 in repairs and it sounds like it should be totaled?
Man I wouldn't touch that car with a stick, IMHO let it go dude.
Yeah, right. The reason for me pulling the engine was to help reduce the cost of the repairs. I am having Kustom Koachworks replace all damaged pieces with OEM Toyota pieces. It was rear ended and the right rear rail pierced into the engine bay, therefore requiring the engine to be pulled for them to complete the repair properly.

Repairing cars with NEW OEM Pieces is very expensive.

Plus I had an Aeroware rear-end, HKS Turbo Aluminized Exhaust, and lots of other stuff.

So, good, I don't want you to touch it with a stick, you might scratch my paint! :lol:

Their is no way in hell I am letting this car go, I searched for 7 months after totaling my Camry to find the perfect MR2.

So... please continue on with the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh man you totaled your camry too?? Bro, take a hint.

But I do understand that you do want to repair it.....my mkII cost $7600 (new rear from end of engine bay and back and had th enetire car repainted) to fix when i wrecked it a few years back. My 2 and I have been through a lot together, I wouldn't give her up for the world.

As for performance, some head work might be in your best interest seeing that you have the engine out and you won't get the car shell back for quite some time.

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vtsuckah said:
Oh man you totaled your camry too?? Bro, take a hint.
What exactly is that suppsosed to mean?

I was rear-ended by an FC RX-7. It was witnessed and documented by an on duty Police Officer, none of it was my fault, and the other insurance company is paying for the repairs.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Port and polish the head, intake manifold and TB.
Wash the thing down and paint it.
I'm rebuilding a 5S-FE for my Celica, the paint make a big different:

Just change all gasket, seal and bearings with the rebuild. Its expensive, I got all the parts from Toyota and its around $1000 just for parts.

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Pineapple, do you know where I could get a replacement 5S-FE Cam-Cover like yours? A friend of mine with an N/A wants my freinds to polish one for her, but we wanted to use a spare one so their is no down time on her car.

Yes, I plan to polish the cam cover on mine, and repaint many of the various parts while it is out as well.

All great suggestions, keep 'em coming guys!

Also about the porting and polishing, that takes some real skill, I know guys that won't think about doing stuff like that and they have been building engines for years.

How did you 'learn' to port and polish?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pineapple said:
Junkyard. 3S-FE cover works but it say 2000 instead of 2200.
I didn't P&P myself, I took it to a shop.
Got ya. Yeah, tried the junk yards, we got just about the last one in AZ the other day at Toyota / Nissan Parts Salvage. The one we picked up ended up being destroyed when it was bead blasted! doh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts