Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 corolla
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a spinout on ice yesterday while doing 60 and ran another car off the road. It felt like the front wheel bearings were seizing or something, and I started fishtailing. Fortunately I just slid off to the side and all was well.
I had felt it pulling while I was driving in 4H a few hours earlier, so I switched to 2H and unlocked the hubs and it seemed fine. I thought it was maybe the CV or front diff. I asked the previous owner about it and he said he never had problems, it seemed to confuse him. I just got this too, and now I'm pissed. I should ask for my money back.
What could be the problem? 2 wheel drive cars were passing me left and right while I was in all 4, that can't be right. I had a rear wheel drive nissan 300zx a few years and I know it wouldn't have reacted the same way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Better check out the locking hubs...had the same thing happen, race, bearings - kablooey...right front locked up. Probably due to running dry in the front diff. If I were you I wouldn't drive another mile till I made sure the wheel bearings and locking hubs are in proper working order.

·
Registered
92 corolla
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the hubs? What am I looking for? And is the suspension arm a suitable jacking point?

·
Registered
14 Posts
12340987 said:
Check the hubs? What am I looking for? And is the suspension arm a suitable jacking point?
You can jack the vehicle under the u-bolts holding the leaf springs (you didn't say what model p/u)...here's the assembly instructions.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/18/9e/75/0900823d80189e75.jsp

The locking hubs will come off in one piece and they're spring-loaded so like the hater :D said, take care if you disassemble them. If they are working properly you will be able to spin the dial and engage/disengage them easily by hand. You're basically looking for anything out of the ordinary, i.e. dry, worn races/bearings...if it was pulling hard it should be fairly obvious if there's a problem. I'd start by check the fluid level (90 wt.) in the front diff...remove the plug and stick your pinky in...if it don't get wet, trouble, way dry. Don't try to save any of the fluid that will come out when you remove the hubs, just put some fresh ninety weight back in after you re-assemble.

:cool: Shade

·
Registered
92 corolla
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it's an 88 ext w/ v6. I'm able to engage the hubs by hand. Takes some effort but not too much, i don't think.
Oh, and I got the 85 FSM PDFs, will that do for the hub assembly? Which service manual do you guys prefer between the haynes and chiltons?

·
im addicted to yotas
'84 pickup 4x4
91 Posts
12340987 said:
it's an 88 ext w/ v6. I'm able to engage the hubs by hand. Takes some effort but not too much, i don't think.
Oh, and I got the 85 FSM PDFs, will that do for the hub assembly? Which service manual do you guys prefer between the haynes and chiltons?
I definately prefer the chilton over the haynes. I have both and the chilton seems to have more info and specs in it and stuff. The haynes is less detailed, and kinda out dated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts