Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While getting exhaust work done, the guy's saw hit the underside of my car and left a hole where the orange silicone is in this picture:

(Left Side)

A close up:

Should I JB Weld it, or is that silicone good enough? The hole is as big as about the size of two or three grains of rice.

·
ilikecamrys
Camry
3,901 Posts
just patch it up and be on your way lol

JB weld..epoxy resin w/ some fiberglass is all good..

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
^^^Agreed, at least the guy was man enough to let you know!

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
The silicone is plenty of fix. All you need is something to keep water out.

·
Registered
'10 Camry, '99 Sable
326 Posts
IMHO silicone will eventually wear off with all of the road splatter that will hit it. I would go with JB Weld and make sure that a tad goes through the hole to form a key on the inside of the panel.

gator1939

·
Registered
321 Posts
The exhaust shop should be sending that out to a body shop for a proper repair on their dime. That hole needs to be knocked flat, welded shut, sanded smooth, and given a metal prep and refinish inside and out per Toyota specs. If you cheap out, it'll rust. Better to do it now before rust gets a toehold, especially if the other side of the hole isn't accessible.

·
Is this real life?
167 Posts
I agree with troidus... The silicone and/or JB Weld is feasible, but if it wasn't your fault at all, they should be repairing it. It's not going to cost them a lot to fix it anyway...

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,615 Posts
A hole on a 2011? As said above, I want that fixed by a quality body shop per Toyota Body Repair manual specs.

A 1999? Silicone and some discount on the exhaust work being done would do.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had to point it out to him.. is there a DIY that I can just remedy this issue with? I don't want to have my car rusting from the inside out, but I also do not feel the need to go and dispute this with my exhaust shop which is going month to month. These guys seem like they'd get nasty.

Put generous amounts of JB Weld through the hole and its surrounding, will that work?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Well... a bit of seam sealer (like is all over under the car now) would surely solve the issue. It's not like the guy sliced a two foot long gash in the FLOOR of the car.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,615 Posts
If you're the kind to keep your cars "forever", I'd have a proper fix by a body shop. If you trade or lease every few years, some seam sealer should do. It may also be a "proper" repair...I'm no body repair person, but I'd talk to a pro.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Actual seam sealer is some badass stuff.

I certainly agree that this should not have happened... (but Brobama should also not be our president). Unfortunately this sort of thing can and does happen.

I believe in doing as "non invasive" of a repair as possible. Grinding, welding, refinishing the tiny spot will never be as good as not destroying the factory E-coat corrosion protection. Adding seam sealer will cover the spot permanently without disrupting ANY of the corrosion protection.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, then it's settled on the seam sealer! Do I apply this just over the hole or also get some into the hole? I don't want it to rust on the inside and me not knowing about it..

I can get this stuff from autozone, right?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I'd stop by a professional body shop supplier. Remove the silicone that is there now and apply the seam sealer in about a 2 inch circle - work it into the hole and smooth the patch out with a razor blade or similar flat tool. Seam sealer is ferocious stuff. Use rubber gloves or you'll wear this stuff for a week.

It really does a good job of sealing and lasts the life of a car.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
3-M and PermaSeal both make suitable products. The package might not say Seam Sealer. I think you are looking for the thick rubberized black material that will squeeze into the hole, fill a little inside to get a good grip, and then cover a square inch on the outside. Should dry to a near hard yet flexible composition.

Reactions: 11LE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts