Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wannabe Noob
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help me out? There's this guy selling a mid 80's corolla hatchback he say's it an 86. The car has been sitting for 2 years and its in a really bad condition. Smashed windsheild rust everywhere and damaged interior. He's selling it for $500

I opened the hood and the engine read 4A....its obviously carburated. Did any AE86 come as carburated or were they all FI?
After looking around the forum I think this guy may have an 83-85 SR5 Corolla....am I right?

Im not too familiar with these engines or how much power they make but I was thinking....can I swap in a GE head on it using the same block and trans?

Do you guys have any links on the differences between the SR5 and the GTS? Engine Swaps and how to's Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a 1985 carolla and that varby and "I think" carolla's started getting FI in 1987.

but yeah for power mine is FWD, Auto so thats a disadvantage but I can lightup the front wheels with out to much trouble but I usually goto be on abit of a hill otherwise it will drag the backend. also I draged off my mates Datsan stansa (its 1 of his 3 cars) and absolutly wooped that but I guess that wouldn't be hard.
It doesn't get alot of power till I hit about 20km/h then it picks up but thats prolly cuz its auto. but I have done 180Km/h in it thats at about 4800rpm in 3rd you could prolly push it a little more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ohh yeah I think I was wrong about FI coming in in 1987 cuz I know some 1 with a 1987 carolla and thats twin cam carby

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
where is this guy you're talking about? do you have a link with the pics? If that thing runs...under any condition buy it.

·
^
4,197 Posts
Its probably an '84-'86 SR5, all GTS' from '85+ were FI. You could swap just the head, but its a pain and not worth it since 4AGE's are so cheap. Check Club4AG for info on SR5 to GTS conversions.

You sound like a Honda guy (you may not be, but you sound like one.) Keep in mind that stuff like driveshafts and rear ends, LSD's and rear suspension parts would need to be swapped over too, you'd probably need a GTS parts car.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
i am planning the same swap. From an SR-5 to a 4AGZE...utilize the search button..the topic has came up more than once. But the 4AGZE and the SR5 have almost the same block...only the acceries sp? and the SR5 has a weaker crank/internals.

easier to buy a 4AGZE like deep said.

also get ready to fly through some clutches....they are going to be burnt faster than an irish women in a tanning bed:lol: :lol:

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
$500.. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! he should be giving it away for free.. better yet.. you should charge him for taking it off his property. :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
i recently purchaced a perfectly running/smogged/"sunburnt" SR5 for $500

basically:
talk him down.
its not impossible to find a better deal.
engine swaps aren't hard. just time consuming so i've heard.
makes a good project car.

blueskaterboy: yeah dude my corolla came with stock twin turbos!
... that was so random.

·
since 1996
05 Impreza RS 2.5
1,772 Posts
Don't bother getting it. It has none of the mechanical parts you want and anything that could be used for a SR5 to GT-S conversion is destroyed or rotted.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
Man i also failed to mention that i bought mine for $300, BUT it came with a 5MGE/tranny. The engine and tranny are in my back yard...plans to swap into the rolla are dead.

For a $500 rust bucket...no way would i get it. Smashed windshield= $$....interior=$$....car in that condition=:bleh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts