Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm looking to buy a distributor off of ebay but I noticed that it says excluding California emissions. It's coming from New Jersey. Well, I live in California. How big of a deal is this? Does it really make an difference, both mechanically and economically? Can I still buy it, and, more importantly, if I do, will I pass smog?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2001 Toyota Camry LE Gallery Series J-VIN
4 Posts
Hello,
It’s always been my experience that it is in your best interest to always replace Emission System components and parts that effect emissions with Genuine Toyota Parts that match the exact part number of what you are replacing. That includes paying close attention to wether that part is for Federal or California emission standards. Save yourself time, money, and potential problems down the road and find one that meets your particular emission standards.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's not where you live, but rather what type of emissions system your car has. Cars originally sold in CA all had CA emissions system, but sometimes cars sold in other states also had CA emissions system (Toyota made more than they needed of CA spec cars). Sometimes you can get a Federal spec car in CA when somebody moved to CA from another state and brought their car with them (this allows non-CA emissions cars to get registered in CA), but this is very rare.

Distributor from one will absolutely not work in the other. The electrical plug is different, as are the components. So, you need to determine what kind you have and purchase an exact replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I'm looking to buy a distributor off of ebay but I noticed that it says excluding California emissions. It's coming from New Jersey. Well, I live in California. How big of a deal is this? Does it really make an difference, both mechanically and economically? Can I still buy it, and, more importantly, if I do, will I pass smog?
Thanks so much!
California cars are often made differently due to our more strict emissions requirements. I'd stick to CA parts.

I've a Isuzu Rodeo and bought a catalytic converter online and smog testers said it isn't CA legal. I have to find another one. -$300.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Incompatible as stated above, I believe the fed-spec dizzy has the igniter internal, and CA-spec breaks that out into its own separate component...one has two plugs and the other has one, IIRC

·
Registered
Toyotas.
253 Posts
I just removed a distributor from what I believe is a Fed car (I'm in Wisconsin, don't see many CA cars here), and it has two plugs and a separate ignitor.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
Hm must be the CA-spec then with the internal igniter.

I just removed a distributor from what I believe is a Fed car (I'm in Wisconsin, don't see many CA cars here), and it has two plugs and a separate ignitor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts