Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i put a regular tire to replace the spare tire on the spare tire rim. Will this fit.
The reason is i travel long on freeways and if I have a flat tire, I cannot go for more than 50 miles/hr on the spare tire.
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
What he said

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,889 Posts
Can i put a regular tire to replace the spare tire on the spare tire rim. Will this fit.
The reason is i travel long on freeways and if I have a flat tire, I cannot go for more than 50 miles/hr on the spare tire.
Thanks
No you can't.

Just get a steelie and put in its place.
Do this instead. :thumbsup:

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
You can't put a regular tire on a spare tire rim because the rim for the spare is not wide enough for a standard tire. You would have to get a regular-sized rim to do that.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Corolla
1,243 Posts
Get a used steelies or alloy to match your car at the junkyard and swap it out with your donut.

Even though all my cars I've driven, I've never used my spare but I went to the junk yard and got a steelies with tire for about $50 and put it into where my spare was. Even though I haven't touched my pare area, I am happy with the swap

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Corolla
1,243 Posts
Get a used steelies or alloy to match your car at the junkyard and swap it out with your donut.

Even though all my cars I've driven, I've never used my spare but I went to the junk yard and got a steelies with tire for about $50 and put it into where my spare was. Even though I haven't touched my pare area, I am happy with the swap

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
Spare wheel is only 4" wide. It is not designed to take a full size tire. You'll need to get a steel wheel that is wider. They are readily available, shouldn't be too much. That being said, a full size spare will not fit properly in the trunk. The trunk floor board will not sit flush, as the spare tire area is too shallow.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
can i put a regular tire to replace the spare tire on the spare tire rim. Will this fit.
The reason is i travel long on freeways
and if i have a flat tire, i cannot go for more than 50 miles/hr on the spare tire.
Thanks
forget about those tards you can i have an o3 matrix with the donut tire i had my tire guy put on a regular tire now the sidewall sticks out but it does work and it fits in the back fine ofcours the tire is not going to be as wide as the other tires itll be different but better than than lousy 50 mph 200 mile rated tire and to all the others that say no do you even know how to change your own tire i think not you call aaa and then i come out to change it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you can! Of course tire comes in varying widths too. So you can easily find a regular tire which will fit fairly well on 4" wide spare rims. I did it by unmounting the puny spare tire and mounting full size regular tire. Much better!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,889 Posts
forget about those tards you can i have an o3 matrix with the donut tire i had my tire guy put on a regular tire now the sidewall sticks out but it does work and it fits in the back fine ofcours the tire is not going to be as wide as the other tires itll be different but better than than lousy 50 mph 200 mile rated tire and to all the others that say no do you even know how to change your own tire i think not you call aaa and then i come out to change it
A regular tire will fit on a regular wheel just fine. No need to use the POS spare tire narrow wheel. On trips I just put one of my alloy wheels with a standard tire on it. It fits just fine in the spare wheel well with a 195/65R15 or 205/55R16 tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spare wheel is only 4" wide. It is not designed to take a full size tire. You'll need to get a steel wheel that is wider. They are readily available, shouldn't be too much. That being said, a full size spare will not fit properly in the trunk. The trunk floor board will not sit flush, as the spare tire area is too shallow.

Jeff
It can be done and done safely, a smart car 155/60r15 fits perfectly and it is street rated as well. For a 4 inch wide rim the recommended maximum width tire is a 165. I have run as big as a 175/55r15 but that is a bit big. The thing to consider is it a big heavy vehicle or a light compact one. I would only do this on a fairly light compact.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
I just dumped my doughnut for a full sized spare. This way makes better sense since the max speed of the spare is 40 iirc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My reply was to stress it's the factory tire used that
Limits you to 50 miles driving distance and 50 mph top speed. The tire is JUNK for normal use. The rim used is narrow at 4 inches but just as strong as a wider OEM steel rim.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
The rim is too narrow and I assume they aren't cheap to buy the tire. I dumped mine because the tire is damaged.

I picked up my rim for $30 from a junkyard. It's better to use a regular rim because then you won't be limited by distance or speed. And, the floor in the trunk will still be flat.

I never mentioned to use for normal driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for these info..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts