Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rims are 5x114 4.5, but the center bore is larger, I think 70.1

By using a larger centerbopre rim, will it affect the integrity at all?

I need a decent lookign set of rims, and find it is easier and much cheaper to pick up some for 100$, then buying new tires opposed to new rims and new tires.

· Registered
31 Posts
They will fit. If you are really, really careful, you can get the wheels centered. but I recommend a set of hub centric rings. They are cheap, and will center your rims for you. Local wheel shops and ebay will have them.

· Registered
'94 Pickup/'96'rolla
292 Posts
If the wheel can't center accurately on the hub, then there is a really good chance of getting vibration. I was running fullsize Chrysler steel wheels on my Mustang for a while and they had a much larger hub than the Fords. I turned up some rings to align them to get rid of the erratic vibration without them.

Back in the mid-'90s my father put some Ranger 11-hole rims on his '94 2wd pickup. He said he had to bore out the center holes(with an actual mill, not some die grinder ghetto job) to fit over the larger Toyota hubs. :confused:

· One with the farce
4,370 Posts
Back in the mid-'90s my father put some Ranger 11-hole rims on his '94 2wd pickup. He said he had to bore out the center holes(with an actual mill, not some die grinder ghetto job) to fit over the larger Toyota hubs. :confused:
I did the same thing with my '85 2wd, bored the center holes out on a lathe. I think they were about .100" too small.

· YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,446 Posts
EEEW Yucky,,,

Ford wheels on a Toyota!

Oh wait.......

Never mind

I have Mustang Cobra wheels on my truck.

Not being hub-centric is really not that big of a deal.

Just be careful when you mount them and snug them down gradually in a staggered tightening sequence so they get centered, then torque them down.

Now if you plan to haul a bunch of weight, it might be wise to find some centering rings.

· Low and Slow
89 Deluxe
101 Posts
There are lots of factors to consider when changing from stock wheels to some other brand or to aftermarket. Offset, hub bore, rim width, etc.

I put some Jeep rims on my 89 2WD because I wanted the larger and wider rims: the Jeep rims are 15 inch diameter and 6 inch width. The hub bore is fine, and the bolt pattern is right on. However, the wider rim will interfere with the upper ball joint housing when the suspension is fully extended downwards. I'm driving it anyway, but I am going to see if spacers to move the rim outwards, say a quarter inch, will solve the problem.

I also have some Ford Ranger rims which I use for snow tires, and I have not taken a good enough look to see if they have the same problem.

· Registered
8 Posts
i know this thread seems to be dead (it's over a year without a reply) but..... i have a 92 pickup that had 15 inch aftermarket wheels when i got it.
and i picked up some 14 inch ranger wheels (with tires) to put on it and ran into the hub hole problem.......
how do you fix it? lol....
i know people bore it out or whatever.. but with what, is my question?
a friend of mine works in a machine shop but they won't touch wheels...

· One with the farce
4,370 Posts
If he works in a machine shop, boring out the center hole is not structural and will not compromise wheel integrity. I've been a machinist for 16 years and have machined several of my own wheels over the years. If they say no, ask innocently to explain how boring the center hole affects the wheel.

Can be done on (ideally) a lathe, or on a milling machine.

· Registered
8 Posts
If he works in a machine shop, boring out the center hole is not structural and will not compromise wheel integrity. I've been a machinist for 16 years and have machined several of my own wheels over the years. If they say no, ask innocently to explain how boring the center hole affects the wheel.

Can be done on (ideally) a lathe, or on a milling machine.
that's what i thought, but the people in the shop say they won't be responsible for it so they don't do wheels.. idk.. whatever
so a lathe, you say....ok
:thumbsup:

· Registered
'94 Pickup/'96'rolla
292 Posts
The lathe will have to be pretty big to swing a 14 or 15" wheel. The more common manual mills out there can fit a workpiece as tall as the wheel width without trouble. All they're going to do is clamp the wheel down, indicate off the original hole to get centered, and then bore it out. Rinse & repeat three more times.

· One with the farce
4,370 Posts
Lol, 16" swing is what our smallest lathe is. Biggest is somewhere near 120" swing x 35ft bed. But a 15" rim would need an 18" swing or thereabouts to clear the jaws.

· 93 Hilux 2WD SB 22RE
323 Posts
Although no one has specifically mentioned it, this thread appears to concern 5-lug 2WD truck rims. I always hated those stock steelie wheels, especially with the silly plastic wheel covers they were supplied with. I even tried putting 1979-era Hilux center caps on, but the 89-95 wheel center boss was too narrow to hold them for long (anybody want a set of three of those brand new center caps?)

I searched out an early 2WD Tacoma rim, found them reconditioned on Ebay for $136 apiece:

They look great with some BFG Radial T/As mounted on them. They were a direct bolt-on, with the exception of having to flatten the outer surface of the upper balljoint grease dome slightly to clear the wider tire.
Cheers,
Paul

· Registered
'94 Pickup/'96'rolla
292 Posts
Might as well buy new aftermarket wheels for that price. :disappoin The selection of 15" offroad tires, for those so inclined, is far smaller than 16"+ and dismal for 14" rims.

There are LOTS of potential donor cars that use the same five on 4.5" bolt circle. I believe the MKIII Supras do, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Ford Explorers and Rangers, '64.5-73 Mustangs, and '94+ Mustangs just to name a few. I don't know about offset, backspacing, or center hole fitment, but I do know of an early '90s 2wd Toyota pickup around here with mid-'90s Mustang wheels and they appear to it under the truck like stock.

All of the Bronco IIs, Rangers, and Explorers have a five on 4.5" pattern, even the 4x4s. Toyota 4x4s use the very common six on 5.5" Chevrolet pattern, so there is no shortage of selection there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.