Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I callz it like i seez it
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine who is also a mechanic about how to keep the engine clean. He said if you want to clean your engine, you can replace a quart of engine oil with a quart of trans fluid when you change your oil. According to him, the detergents in the trans fluid clean the engine gently over time.

anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
4Runner & Fusion
972 Posts
I've done this in the past (decades ago), but with todays modern oils you won't need to do this. In the past the lighter tranny fluid supposedly helped with sticky lifters. I also used Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil a long time ago, but no longer do so because todays oils are very good.

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
It's a great practice for retarded backyard wannabe mechanics that believe in snake oils and mechanics in a can.

I'd pass on that practice.

Change your oil as recommended, with the recommended oil. That's all that is needed.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I've done this in the past (decades ago), but with todays modern oils you won't need to do this. In the past the lighter tranny fluid supposedly helped with sticky lifters. I also used Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil a long time ago, but no longer do so because todays oils are very good.

I thought I was the only one old enough to remember pooring trans fluid down the throat of the carburator with the engine running to free up a stuck lifter. Boy did that make smoke.

Mike

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I thought I was the only one old enough to remember pooring trans fluid down the throat of the carburator with the engine running to free up a stuck lifter. Boy did that make smoke.

Mike
:lol::confused::thumbdown:disappoin:hammer::rolleyes::ugh3:

I'm sure that pooring ATF through the carb, intake, combustion chamber, and exhaust would free up a stuck lifter...NOT! It's IMPOSSIBLE!

The only reason ATF is poured into the carb or intake IS to make smoke. There isn't any way that it could free up a stuck lifter when poured in that way...

Today must be bunk information day. Again.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Getting back to the original question, it depends upon the age of the engine and the sludge level. ATF is very detergent as you know and will clean out sludge pretty well. You wouldn't necessarily want to add it on a regular basis by the quart. More likely, add a cup full about 100 miles before changing oil if you just feel the engine is very dirty. If you have a sludging issue, be certain that the pvc system is free and open first and then add 2-3 cups of ATF to the oil, and then change the oil filter every 3-400 miles, adding oil and ATF each time. The ATF will free up a lot of crap so go slowly and change the filter often. No, this is not something that TRD is going to find documented in the Toyota service manual, but it seems to work over the last 50 years or so, so it likely will do no harm and can potentially eliminate a sludge problem.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts

Mike
That is kinda bogus considering the lifters are not accessible through the carb, intake, or cylinder. Only way that would be feasible is if you dumped it into the crankcase....... I have however heard of using powdered laundry detergent, or comet to help seat rings. I would never do it, but have heard it works....

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
id just stick to oil in your engine honestly...we sell some additives at my dealership, and theyre made by 3M (fuel system cleaner, added in gas tank) and MOC (engine additive/protectant goes in oil)....i use them now and again but i doubt they really do much...
my engine looks brand new inside and all i do is change what needs to be changed at reccomended intervals....i do mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic every 3k with a toyota oem filter, seafoam every so often, and change trans fluid/coolant and always be on the lookout for leaks and the like...if you treat your car right it will treat you right honestly.

·
I callz it like i seez it
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I heard that adding a gallon of trans fluid to the gas tank would clean the exhaustpiping, mufflers, and help clean the throttlebody.
I have heard the same thing, but for deisel engines on trucks not cars. I wouldn't do it. I use lucas or seafoam.

I wouldn't put ATF in my engine either, I just wanted to hear from other people because it sounded like something absurd coming from someone I consider a very good mechanic.

the mechanic who told me this owns 60 taxicabs, which he rents to the drivers. Repairs for the cars are included in the rent, so anytime there's a problem with one of the cabs he fixes them free of charge. He's been keeping his 60 taxicabs running for the past 30 years & keep in mind cabs get driven for 200-400 miles every single day so I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about cars.

·
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I heard that adding a gallon of trans fluid to the gas tank would clean the exhaust piping, mufflers, and help clean the throttlebody.
Another bogus myth. Fuel doesn't even go through the throttle body.

I need to bottle a special transmission fluid "engine cleaner, throttle body cleaner, and exhaust cleaner" for the hack mechanics and suckers in this thread...

You would think that in this world of marketing and trying to make a buck, ONE manufacturer would have bottled transmission fluid as such a cleaner if it was REMOTELY feasible. With so many "snake oils" out there, someone would be making it.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Another bogus myth. Fuel doesn't even go through the throttle body.

I need to bottle a special transmission fluid "engine cleaner, throttle body cleaner, and exhaust cleaner" for the hack mechanics and suckers in this thread...

You would think that in this world of marketing and trying to make a buck, ONE manufacturer would have bottled transmission fluid as such a cleaner if it was REMOTELY feasible. With so many "snake oils" out there, someone would be making it.
I agree with TRD VVTi. I can't believe you guys fall for this stuff. That is scary to put transmission fluid with your gas.

Regular maintenance, good quality gas, run your car on the highway (so engine is hot) every now and then to burn off contaminants, should keep your car in good running order.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
According to him, the detergents in the trans fluid clean the engine gently over time.

anyone ever done this?
No but at work i know a mechanic who did this by mistake and it ruined the engine. ATF in my oil? My answer is, Hell no! I keep the ATF in the trans/power steering and the oil in the engine and dont mix em, ever, if you ask me.

If you want to keep your engine clean inside, there are really only two ways to do it, 1 - take it apart and clean it or 2 - change the oil every 2000 - 2500 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.