Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 Camry
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gen 5.5
My question is: is there a way to replace the low beam socket with a new one?
The story behind my question is: recenty one of my low beam bulbs went out, when i unplugged it from the socket, i noticed that the socket and the bulb were slightly burnt, i took it to the dealer since that didnt look "normal" to me, they inspected the entire electrical wiring. after inspection, they told me that the electrical wiring is just fine and that the socket even though it has damage on it, it still provides the correct amount of energy, they claim that the bulb had been the problem. I was supposed to get charged but since there was nothing wrong, I was not charged. This tells me that there is nothing wrong because dealers love taking money away from people.

Without getting into too much trouble, I was thinking of getting the heavy duty harness ($20 a pair) offered at Automotive Lighting, just in case the bulb happens to do the same thing, it doesnt damage the cars socket instead it damages the extension. Comments?

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
I'm sure you can replace it. How i'm no expert so i won't even try explaining.

I'm getting a heavy duty harness for my fogs though (same concept as the headlights) Because my aftermarket bulbs will fry my stock harness if i don't.

·
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo
3,220 Posts
just buy the aftermarket harnesses and you will be fine. All you have to do is cut off the old connector and solder on the new one. It is a positive and negative wire, thats all.

·
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo
3,220 Posts
PnP=plug and play

wouldnt a PnP make no difference since his harness is already melted? wont the current still flow through the stock harness?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm getting a heavy duty harness for my fogs though (same concept as the headlights) Because my aftermarket bulbs will fry my stock harness if i don't.
^ hey Punks_Not_Dead5:

so is it the bulbs that came with the foglight kit that is causing the problem?

because i just installed my pair of aftermarket foglights...

if i just buy some new 9006 Sylvania would that save my stock harness from being fried, burnt, melted?

thanx

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
^ hey Punks_Not_Dead5:

so is it the bulbs that came with the foglight kit that is causing the problem?

because i just installed my pair of aftermarket foglights...

if i just buy some new 9006 Sylvania would that save my stock harness from being fried, burnt, melted?

thanx
My fog lights are OEM, i just changed the bulbs to 2500k Nokya yellows..they put out a hire wattage.

You'll be fine with Sylvanias on the stock harness.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
^ oh thanx for clarifying.

i thought you guys meant the aftermarket bulbs were melting the sockets/ harness...

thanx.
Some are, just have to check the wattage. But your Sylvania's will be fine..i had them before i switched.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts