Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think they will be using this? I like using my iPhone screen for nav even when CarPlay is available so I won’t be using it. My passengers are always using their phones so I have multiple charging cords available. Even if a smartphone is not being used, the last place I would have them to put their phone would be inside the closed console as it would likely be forgotten.

It looks like something that will just be in the way and would be better off removed.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,963 Posts
I'd say if you can unplug it or even out right swap it with just a non-QI charger just go for it. It's gonna be a long time before I own a new vehicle but I have no real use for a QI charger whether in or out of the vehicle as I am almost always gonna prefer cords and a phone mount....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm sure it can be removed as I saw bolts on a close up video. There will be probably 2 small holes left on both sides of storage walls, where hinge was placed. I think that will be first mod done by many and you'll be able to buy on ebay/amazon rubber/plastic stoppers to cover those 2 holes.
I can already see it - something like "Highlander Qi charger delete kit - make your storage bin great again!", $19.99 free shipping special. :p

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would — if it worked with thicker cases such as the Otterbox Defender.

I also prefer it to be hidden. If I do forget it in the car, at least it’s not out in the open for someone to smash-and-grab.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
It is a bit amusing how despite how attached a lot of people are to their phones they still lose them or they get stolen. For me, my phone is like my wallet and my car keys. I bring them everywhere with me and I feel generally unsafe without any of those three.

With how some people refuse and outright gotten rid of their (Windows) desktops and laptops and moved on to Android or iOS devices, getting their devices stolen to me means their livelihood. There is always the cloud but then what if that cloud is blown away? It's not a matter of, I just lost $1000 of a phone. It's more of a matter of, I lost my pictures, my videos, my passwords, MY HOME WORK, MY RESEARCH, and possibly my confidential information.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It is a bit amusing how despite how attached a lot of people are to their phones they still lose them or they get stolen. For me, my phone is like my wallet and my car keys. I bring them everywhere with me and I feel generally unsafe without any of those three.
I’m a creature of habit. I hardly ever take out my phone when I drive. When I exit, I don’t have to remember to take my phone with me; it’s already with me. It’s when I deviate from that routine — my battery is low and I need a charge — that there is a pretty decent chance that I’ll forget to take my phone with me.

Outside of that, it’s the three-item pat down when I leave the house. Keys, wallet, phone.

As for getting things stolen — some crimes are just a matter of opportunity. Leave a phone unattended (like in a parked car on a Qi charging pad in plain view), leave a purse unattended, leave a laptop bag unattended — if you just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, it’s an opportunity for it to get stolen.

Some people think they’re clever by hiding it in a diaper bag or a shopping bag — no one wants my groceries, right? They won’t know my iPad is in there. Nope. It’s steal first, figure out what’s in there later.

It’s a balance; you can’t eliminate all risk or you’d never leave your house. On the other hand, it sometimes amazes me when you see someone holding their tablet with a smartphone and a smartwatch and you realize they have about two grand worth of electronics in their hands.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
I’m a creature of habit. I hardly ever take out my phone when I drive. When I exit, I don’t have to remember to take my phone with me; it’s already with me. It’s when I deviate from that routine — my battery is low and I need a charge — that there is a pretty decent chance that I’ll forget to take my phone with me.

Outside of that, it’s the three-item pat down when I leave the house. Keys, wallet, phone.

As for getting things stolen — some crimes are just a matter of opportunity. Leave a phone unattended (like in a parked car on a Qi charging pad in plain view), leave a purse unattended, leave a laptop bag unattended — if you just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, it’s an opportunity for it to get stolen.

Some people think they’re clever by hiding it in a diaper bag or a shopping bag — no one wants my groceries, right? They won’t know my iPad is in there. Nope. It’s steal first, figure out what’s in there later.

It’s a balance; you can’t eliminate all risk or you’d never leave your house. On the other hand, it sometimes amazes me when you see someone holding their tablet with a smartphone and a smartwatch and you realize they have about two grand worth of electronics in their hands.
I guess I am young and "hip" 🤪 . Though I try to treat my things a bit better than I would a person... in addition I know how to "runaway" in terms of the internet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I imagine that would be a little less amusing as I'm turning around and driving their phone back to them. That would get old pretty fast and quite possibly dampen my enthusiasm for the convenience of wireless charging. This works best if it's someplace where you would normally set your phone down such as your desk or nightstand. My smartphone is never stored in the console.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I guess I am young and "hip" 🤪 . Though I try to treat my things a bit better than I would a person... in addition I know how to "runaway" in terms of the internet.
I try to practice the opposite: People before things. Things can be replaced. People can’t.

Are you running to or from the Internet?

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
I try to practice the opposite: People before things. Things can be replaced. People can’t.

Are you running to or from the Internet?
There are certain websites that should not be visited that "most" people will think of as legitimate. "You won a boat!!!!" You leave, you X out, you Task Manager and close it, you "runaway". You don't accept it. You "runaway" before it can cause potential damage to your device or it gets your confidential information.

It's a bit weird to describe "things" or how I "take care of them". But I guess basically...
  • Do you keep your phone clean? Or is it sticky and both the glass rear panel and screen shattered?
  • Do you keep up with vehicle maintenance? Or do you drive it til it dies?
  • Do you throw out the trash? Or let it pile up and rot?
There's some sort of Japanese superstition that certain objects if given a lot of love (or hate) or is very old that they eventually grow a soul and can become human. I don't know what it's called but to me it is very prevalent in a lot of Japanese media (anime).

I sort of believe in this in that say for example, Camry A and Camry B are both built at the same factory by nearly the same team with the same specs. Camry A is given all of its vehicle maintenance, cleaning, repairs, and driven well by its owner while Camry B is driven to the ground, its vehicle maintenance lacking, there's bugs in the interior, and it's got bumps, scraps, dents on the underbody. Which is gonna last longer?

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I’m a creature of habit. I hardly ever take out my phone when I drive....

+1. That's one reason I'll never use CarPlay either. I do that little pat down all day long. Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

Once I see the Qi charger and how its installed, I'll be looking for a way to remove it unless someone beats me to it and shares here.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
908 Posts
I do that little pat down all day long. Glad I'm not the only one who does that!
Make that 3 of us. Phone never gets out of my pocket when I'm driving 'cause the seat belt gets in the way. Hands free blue tooth for voice calls is the most I'll ever "need". Texting, email, surfing, music, videos, etc. can all wait for a better time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assume this is for use with phones that aren’t being used for Android Auto or CarPlay because those will be plugged in. I guess it’s really for passengers who do not use their phone while riding in a car which is nobody that I know. It will be used 0% of the time and in the way 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Yep. It's useful 0% of the time and in the way 100% of the time. My iPhone XR in an Otterbox Defender won't even fit in the opening where the phone is supposed to sit. I wouldn't expect it to charge through the Otterbox anyway, as most Qi chargers don't because it's too thick. The Qi charger in the Tacoma is plenty large for my phone but can't charge through that case.

I've already looked at the service manual, and it's not at all helpful. They haven't even finished the crucial step of "Remove Wireless Charger Cradle Assembly" in the manual, unless it's pretty obvious what to do once you get there. The steps leading up to it have you breaking down the entire center console from the dash back to access the internal liner of the storage compartment, so I have a bad feeling that there's a wire or a plastic tab or something that must be accessed from outside the storage compartment to get the charger out. I'm not brave enough yet to remove all the screws you can see to find out how much of the charger assembly would come out just by doing that.

The next closest thing looks like the Lexus NX300, but the hinge on that one is not as elaborate as the one on the Highlander and the charger assembly comes out with out tearing apart the center console.

It's too bad they chose to implement the Qi charger this way because there is plenty of room at the bottom of the dash next to the USB and 12V outlets. Now there's just an awkward empty hole in that area, which happens to be almost big enough for my phone to sit in. The service manual shows that the cellular data radio is located right there instead.

I found it interesting that the manual talks about the wireless charger receiving signals from the car computer that tell it to stop charging under certain circumstances. Apparently the charger can emit an RF signal that would interfere with the key fob signal, so the charger needs to be turned off when the car is expecting to look for the key fob on the interior. I suppose that could be a reason why they moved it away from the main dashboard area.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
334 Posts
From the few pictures I've seen, it looks reasonably easy to remove, here's hoping it is.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts