Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
There are a bunch of screws that are obvious, but I can't tell how far that actually gets you toward removing it. For the NX300, the service manual is very clear that you don't need to do much more than remove the screws you see and unplug the unit from the wiring harness. So it scares me that the Highlander manual has you breaking down the entire center console to get at the outside of the storage box liner.

Many Toyota models have the "charger assembly" - the portion with the place to set the phone and the electronics underneath it - shown as a separate piece from whatever holds it in the car. So it's possible that removing the screws is enough to get the electronics out of the way, but not totally remove the hinge mechanism or any pieces that may support the electronics.

I'll be most grateful to whoever decides to give it a whirl and see what happens.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That assemble it quickly on the line or so I'm hoping, which means it will come out quickly … I hoping

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the placement of the wireless charger is the dumbest place they could put it. Totally in the way. Completely kills the ease of use with the sliding opening vs hinged opening. Also makes it way harder to get down in the storage area. My wife is like....wtf. She has a battery case, so wont be using it, and my Iphone 8 plus wont sit in it well enough to charge (too big). This is one of the first things I thought of.....how do I get this out.....and why didn't they put it in the deep pocket in the center bottom front of the console. 🤦‍♂️ If the L and LE or even XLE don't have it.....then there will be a way to swap parts and convert with no holes left over..... and heck ....maybe sell it to an L or LE or XLE owner that wants one....as I'm sure the wiring is there under the console to retrofit.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
109 Posts
As much as many of us do not care for those chargers, there may be some forward thinking going on. There will likely be a day when phones have no connectors for cables. You will need some sort of interface. Why you MUST plug your phone in is beyond me. Thought that is why you can connect your phone wirelessly to whatever via, say, Bluetooth. Or connect via the car WiFi. Car makers typically are not good at the infotainment stuff. You can inexpensively purchase all manner of head units with Android radio and car plays. Can not add those easily to new cars. We’ll see what happens when the current tech in our cars is obsolete. Likely nothing....buy a new car.....unplanned obsolescence....simple.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
68 Posts
I wish apple car play would work wireless as well.
Sadly it’s still not that common in vehicles yet, though some manufacturers support it (BMW, Ford, probably some others as well).

I’m considering picking up one of these so that I can use the wireless charger with CarPlay (or just leave the phone in my pocket), anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if it will work with the Highlander headunit:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sadly it’s still not that common in vehicles yet, though some manufacturers support it (BMW, Ford, probably some others as well).

I’m considering picking up one of these so that I can use the wireless charger with CarPlay (or just leave the phone in my pocket), anyone have any experience with this? I wonder if it will work with the Highlander headunit:

Dang...I didn't know that existed! sweet!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mighty proud of that gizmo at $160. Me thinks a bit of internetting will find something equivalent for less....

Duck Duck here we Go (ddg.gg)

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
68 Posts
Mighty proud of that gizmo at $160. Me thinks a bit of internetting will find something equivalent for less....

Duck Duck here we Go (ddg.gg)
I found quite a few on amazon and AliExpress, most with questionable reviews though...not that this one is necessarily any better.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would be concerned that this kind of workaround will eventually be broken by some kind of security-enhanced OS update like the 3rd party dongles that connect your phone to HDMI screens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t mind the location in the center console. But my phone is to wide with the case on to fit in the opening and maintain a charge.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What Operating System is used for the display?

(I am sure this has been discussed else where....)

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
A little off topic for this thread... According to this Wikipedia page, Entune 3.0 is "Automotive Grade Linux" while 2.0 was "Blackberry QNX". That's one of the reasons you can't simply upgrade an Entune 2.0 head unit to have newer features.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A little off topic for this thread... According to this Wikipedia page, Entune 3.0 is "Automotive Grade Linux" while 2.0 was "Blackberry QNX". That's one of the reasons you can't simply upgrade an Entune 2.0 head unit to have newer features.
Sorry for the OT, but it means we can hack it in a similar way we did in the Yaris iA!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts