Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Matrix XRS. My clutch just busted and I am going to buy a new one. How do I know if I have a 2zz or 1zz?

·
Registered
Matrix XR 2003
188 Posts
Welcome to TN!

If you have a XRS, you should have a 2zz-ge motor.

Check under the hood, if the intake manifold is metal (aluminum), you got a 2zz.

If the intake manifold is a black plastic material, then you have a 1zz-fe.

:welcome:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Now my next question is what type of aftermarket clutch would be adequate for day to day driving without spending a lot of money. I don't want cheap and cheesey, but I don't need any racing or really high end stuff either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ACTll with a Fidenza flywheel seems to be a popular aftermarket system. I haven't done mine yet, but everyone will tell you, don't get an OEM one again!

·
There are many Matrices
2003 Matrix XRS
2 Posts
Is OEM really that bad? I've never used anything but OEM on my other Toyotas, just got this Matrix and wanted to stick with it, I've always had good luck with OEM...

·
Gearhead
2,126 Posts
^^^ Depends on how you drive, but the OEM is known to be the weak link in this particular setup - XRS with the 2ZZ-GE engine, the 1ZZ-FE seem to be spared this "issue". Some have gone less then 20K-30K before they burned up the clutch - some even less than that. Others have gotten 70K-80K or more. Have to remember that they basically took the drivetrain out of the Celica GT-S and dropped it into a body that weighs in a few hundred pounds more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts