Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haev a 91 mr2 normally aspirated, im looking at buyign a jdm 3sgte - which it says is for 94 - 97 mr2, will this motor fit in all mk II mr2's how complicated is this swap, (motor comes with 5 speed and everything needed to run). Will this motor fit my car?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Yep...

Just make sure you get wiring harness, intercooler, tranny... etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That rocks bro, I'm doing the same thing! Maybe we could colaborate on some modifications. I'm targeting 300 - 350whp. I'd like to plan every mod before I start, but I don't know what's crap and what makes the tires spin faster. Right now I'm really into reducing rotational mass, ie: flywheel, pulleys, after market wheels etc.. I have no idea what kind of gains these parts will make. Maybe you have some thoughts? Maybe I should be in another topic?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Not a whole lot. Focus more on that beautiful forced induction system and your fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^what is ur experience with driving a car with a bigger turbo than stock??....in my set up....lag is minimal...i have 50 trim.... .63 a/r...t3/4...it takes about a split second of lag before u get going...very streetable.....sure torque is great off the line....but u look at big displacement motors that may make great amounts of torque..but they lose out on top end.....theres nothing better than pulling from a v8 past 100mph....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drove a Mitsubishi Evo running 20psi. The owner said it was about 350hp. Anyway, below 4000 rpm there was very little power, till the boost gauge shot to 20 and the rpm's rose almost faster than I could shift. I don't want a torque monster by any means, but I'd like to have a smoothe power curve and not just a swift kick in the ass when I hit 4000rpm. It would be nice to see 9000rpm!! Top end is my bag. As long as I can still shift into the power range and not have a couple seconds of bog down.

Forgive my ignorance, what is 50 trim, 63 a/r
The T3/4 is a turbo right?

·
Boosting 15 psi :)
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
if you want to raise your redline, i think you want cams, stiff valve springs, cam gears, and a reprogrammed ecu. Short runner intake manifold will help too... If top end is your bag, you will sacrifice bottom end. They are indirectly proportional... good bottom end power and minimal lag=lower top end power, and vise versa. Email some turbo manufacturers and ask a sales rep what is a responsive turbo in your planned power range. Thats what i'd do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you Drifting Dane. Unfortunatly I failed to realize in my last post, that peaky power gets me lag and torque gets me a 6000rpm redline. Oh well, guess I'll have to stop thinking like a little kid that wants it all.:lol: Sound advice..................and yes, every time FUNCTION OVER FORM !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts