Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about the plastic cover underneath the radiator and near the fan area.

If I take these plastic covers off, do I risk damaging anything?

My theory is that my car would run cooler. Should I leave the covers on and let it be or can I take the covers off for a cooler running engine?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
the ones that the fan are in ? those things are called shrouds they are very important because w/o them your car will overheat. those shrouds direct air at points too cool the radiator.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
oh yea there is that part as well. i don't think it serves a big of a job. just to protect too much water and stuff from getting into the engine kind of like a mudflap for your car.

·
Prepare tortilla chips.
380 Posts
Your air conditioning would not work the way it should. AC condensor sits behind the radiator, and this plastic baffle makes all of the air coming in front of the car hit the condensor, which makes the AC work.

Car would be more likely to overheat, yes. bowlofturtle is PARTIALLY correct, but just because you remove them, the car will not automatically overheat.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
True it WILL not overheat is somecases. But in many cases it does. Gaps between the radiator and shroud about 3cm's caused my car to overheat couple weeks ago. Those shrouds are pretty much needed.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
1. Hes asking about the plastic pieces that bolt on underneath the car. Not the fan shrouds or whatever.

2. Their just splash guards.

3. The a/c condensor is in front of the radiator (looking from the front of the car).

4. You fools need to read. :rolleyes: :disappoin

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stock93cam said:
are you talking about the plastic piece that is screwed on to the bottom of the car?
Yep, the plastic piece that would cover the area of the bottom of the radiator. It's the piece that has the little hole for the coolant drain on the bottom of the radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts