Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I both hate the stereo in her Highlander. She really wants CarPlay like I have in my Hyundai Sonata. I think the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX looks like a pretty good fit, but there's one wrinkle: We're leasing the car, and will only have it for another 1 1/2 years.

If I replace it now, I assume I can just keep the original stereo to swap back before I turn the car in 2021. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to install (or have installed), and what additional hardware I'd need to buy? Having trouble finding good info. And do I lose any functionality? We don't care about SiriusXM, but do need the backup cam, radio, Bluetooth, and CarPlay interface to work.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
778 Posts
There are several videos on YouTube about how to remove the head unit, all the trim pieces are basically clips to pop out, only the head unit requires wrench and socket to remove. Just be careful pulling/popping the trim piece so you won't accidentally crack it, especially the first top colored edge and the HVAC control panel...

As for the wiring adapters, you can research on (or even call) Crutchfield and their website for the specifics. I just briefly looked and seem to be all available in their stock (make sure you click on the link called "See the installation gear you'll need".

EDIT: Crutchfield spelling correction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are several videos on YouTube about how to remove the head unit, all the trim pieces are basically clips to pop out, only the head unit requires wrench and socket to remove. Just be careful pulling/popping the trim piece so you won't accidentally crack it, especially the first top colored edge and the HVAC control panel...

As for the wiring adapters, you can research on (or even call) Crutchfield and their website for the specifics. I just briefly looked and seem to be all available in their stock (make sure you click on the link called "See the installation gear you'll need".

Thank you! I'll check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Do you know what it means when it says "Bluetooth not supported by install package"?

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 6.13.24 PM.png

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
621 Posts
it means you need to use the microphone that comes with the aftermarket radio, cannot use the toyota microphone.

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
621 Posts
that is not carplay. it is a hack, not worth my time. I had wireless carplay with ilx-107 ,now wired with ilx-w650.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts