Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm looking for some aftermarket torsion bars, i hear alot about the sway-a-way bars, i was going to go with the downey bars because i'm getting a bunch of stuff from them. so basicly i'm just asking if any one has any feed back on either one of those or any others.

·
Registered
240sx
96 Posts
I have the downey and like them alot. My truck was dumped to the ground when I got it and I purchased the Downey 2" lift kit to get it where I wanted it.

The only problem I ran into was they send me the 4x4 front parts instead of the 4x2 like I needed. They got me the torsion bars quick but I had to wait a bit for the bilsteins (they were backordered).

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
i like my sway aways, downey claims theirs are better because they are made by nhk , the company that makes the oem bars. the sway away bars have broken in nicely and have not lost any lift or memory on the 2wd. that truck makes bumpt dirt roads feel like a paved road in my 84 straight axel truck. id go with downey if you plan on ordering other parts from them too.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I have downey on my Toyx4, paired with the right shock and tire combo, they ride great.

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks again guys.
i'm going to stick with what i was going to go with initially and get the downey nhk bars.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Pickup
6 Posts
I just replaced my stock torsion bars with sway-aways and they work great. The difference between the downey bars and the sway-away bars is the downey bars are 1mm thicker. This will result in a higher spring rate. The sway-away bars worked out nicely on my truck.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
vic, mine are 2wd sway aways, stiffer ride. it is a lifted 2wd though. you could probabally use them on a truck like yours to stiffen up the handling.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
could be the next project

I still have some issues with tire rubs under suspension compression. Ususaly happen when I have a passenger and exert near maximum lateral Gs. Also being a pick up the rear suspension is already preety stiif leaving me feeling that it is not balanced front to rear.

Anyhow, I've been thinking of stiiffer front torsion bars for a while (More along the lines of factory V6 1ton bars)

Seeing these from sway-away got me a-think'n even more.

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
i was reading online somewhere, maybe here?: http://www.brian894x4.com/Solidaxleswappt1.html

not sure, but everything i read about aftermarket torsion bars was that they're too stiff. (IF you're going offroading) and actually limit articulation more than the stock t-bars.

that's something to consider if you're into trail riding, rock climbing, etc...

-shaef

·
Banned
747 Posts
The Downey bars are nothing more than stock V6 1-ton bars.
They are not special made, they are just higher rated stock units.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts