Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Avalon XLS. Was replacing the spark plugs and while working on cylinder 1 I cracked open the PCV valve and now there's white smoke billowing out the exhaust.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

I've never replaced a PCV Valve before and had a question after looking over this thread.

As I understand it, the grommet is that lower lip beneath the exposed plastic in the picture. If I can lift that without tearing it, it should take out the valve with it, correct?

·
Administrator
14,386 Posts
The grommet has a barb inside the valve cover to hold it in. You need to pull the PCV out first, or you’ll have a hard time getting the grommet out. Also, the rubber grommet is usually quite hard from age, so if often comes out in pieces. Be careful to not drop any of it in the hole.

Reactions: Atreus21

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grommet has a barb inside the valve cover to hold it in. You need to pull the PCV out first, or you’ll have a hard time getting the grommet out. Also, the rubber grommet is usually quite hard from age, so if often comes out in pieces. Be careful to not drop any of it in the hole.
Oh splendid. This is going to SOCK.

Thanks for your advice sir.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bud. I'll go grab a cheap harbor freight heat gun and retrieve my shop vac from my Dad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I managed to get it out with just a few small pieces falling in. I put the new valve in, start the engine, and I still get white smoke.

How do I test to ensure the PCV valve is working? I read that if you take the hose off of it and put your finger over the hole in the valve, you should feel a suction, and that confirms it's working. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Think so. Always tested it removed. Its like a check valve, so used to clean and then blow through it. Make sure the hose that connects to it is also clear. Someone had a blocked hose before (old thread).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
huh. I'd given up and was going to drop it at a dealership, but on the way, the white smoke grew less and less and eventually stopped altogether. Oil level is fine.

I read in another thread that sometimes the backed-up oil needs to burn off. I guess that's what happened.

Thanks for your help fellas. Now the car's throwing P1349 and multiple misfires, although it drives fine. It was the misfires that spurred me to replace the spark plugs which were all OEM after 177k miles, during which I cracked off the pcv valve which was the impetus of this thread.

Guess that means replacing the oil control valves next. Wonder what I'll break while doing that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts