Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my 2012 TCH last week and I am already thinking about changing some of the lights on the car but have a few things that I want to clarify.

Do HIDs use more power? Will it affect the performance of the hybrid? (mpg, etc)
I hear from alot of people that they only use more power when it's first turned on. The reason I ask is because when I installed it on my scooter, it would drain the battery in about 5 minutes.

What are the wattage of the stock wedge bulbs on the license plate? I am thinking about switching them to high powered LED ones (about 3 watts each).

·
Registered
54 Posts
HID/LED bulbs

I switched to HID's a few weeks ago, and am really happy that I did.

I read that the H11 factory/stock headlamp bulb uses a 12-volt electrical system but the HID requires over 20,000 volts to ignite the bulbs, but once it is lit, it only requires 35 watts (vs 55 watts to the stock H11 bulbs) to stay running. Also, an HID wiring kit typically uses 9-16 volts.

I wouldn't worry about the HID's affecting the battery, as long as the wiring and ballast is good.

I recently bought some LED's from ebay to replace the stock/factory license plates bulbs and installed them a few hours ago. I don't think mine are high powered though. They have 5 smd's per bulb and use about 1-2 watts vs the factory/stock 5 watt bulbs.

My next plan is to get the Fog Lamps (since my hybrid didn't come w/ them) and convert that to HID as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I switched to HID's a few weeks ago, and am really happy that I did.

I read that the H11 factory/stock headlamp bulb uses a 12-volt electrical system but the HID requires over 20,000 volts to ignite the bulbs, but once it is lit, it only requires 35 watts (vs 55 watts to the stock H11 bulbs) to stay running. Also, an HID wiring kit typically uses 9-16 volts.

I wouldn't worry about the HID's affecting the battery, as long as the wiring and ballast is good.

I recently bought some LED's from ebay to replace the stock/factory license plates bulbs and installed them a few hours ago. I don't think mine are high powered though. They have 5 smd's per bulb and use about 1-2 watts vs the factory/stock 5 watt bulbs.

My next plan is to get the Fog Lamps (since my hybrid didn't come w/ them) and convert that to HID as well.
Did you have to use a relay ? If not does light flicker when you start car ?

Got pics of how ballast is mounted ?

Thx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent installed the HIDs yet but from my experience, relay is only needed for cars that run DRL in the same housing. The 7th gen DRL is in a different housing than night time lights so "no" you shouldnt need a relay harness.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ballast

Umm... yeah... lol... the ballasts are kinda just layin there, not zip tied to anything... just been lazy to take the time to find a good place to tie it down to something correctly....

No relay needed as Dangy mentioned hence no flicker. Although I have thought about switching that DRL bulb out as well - just not sure if I want to go LED or HID... and it's low priority for now...

Did you have to use a relay ? If not does light flicker when you start car ?

Got pics of how ballast is mounted ?

Thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.