Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am slowly losing coolant in my 98 corolla. Not leaking externally anywhere. Did a compression test to see if there was any low readings but they all seem to be okay. So it can't be the head gasket right? If that was the case I would get a low compression reading? What else should I check to see where the coolant is going?

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Put white paper under the engine compartment. (like butcher rolls or something) Let it run a bit and see if anything shows up on the paper. With hood up, have someone rev the engine some while watching for leaks. I once got some defective heater hose. No visible leaks at idle but with the engine revved there was tiny jets of coolant coming out every few inches along the seam line of the hoses. It would evaporate before you could get out of the car and get the hood open but the level dropped very slowly and I could smell the coolant while driving. A white towel pressed tightly into the passenger side carpet can find evidence of a a tiny leak in the heater core. Check dipstick for 'milky' look as well. (This should show up on a compression test but check anyway.)

·
<3 My subie!! >.<
03 Camry SE
846 Posts
LOL! check resivor for collant? and look at radiator cap WHEN ENGINE COLD!! unless want skin removed. hehe

not to many things that remove collant. resivor, water pump, hoses, head gasket but you checked already..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts