Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my Valve Cover Gasket change finally (Found oil on 2 right spark coils, didn't check plugs after replacing).

Just wanted to know if this is sort of a normal engine condition, I've been doing timely oil changes, full synthetic (except for last oil change) but realistically I bought the car from a careless previous owner (3-4 years ago). To me it looks gunky, specially on the cams but I don't really know these things. Can someone give me their input on the condition or if anything looks odd in the pics.

Engineering Auto part Machine Metal Electrical supply
Gas Engineering Camshaft Machine Auto part
Gas Wood Auto part Metal Art

·
Registered
131 Posts
You have to remember, it's an engine and it's going to get a little dirty. But that's fine as long as you're changing the oil on time and using a good quality oil (preferably a quality synthetic from any of the major brands...Pennzoil, Mobile 1 (my personal choice), etc)). That'll keep the dirt from building up into anything that could be damaging. A Tiny bit of varnish here or there is normal and will be there unless it's a brand new block lol. Drive it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
have you had an oil analysis done on the engine oil from a Blackstone Lab or similar?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to remember, it's an engine and it's going to get a little dirty. But that's fine as long as you're changing the oil on time and using a good quality oil (preferably a quality synthetic from any of the major brands...Pennzoil, Mobile 1 (my personal choice), etc)). That'll keep the dirt from building up into anything that could be damaging. A Tiny bit of varnish here or there is normal and will be there unless it's a brand new block lol. Drive it and enjoy it!
Yeah I've personally been leaning towards using Mobil-1 or Valvoline most of the time. My last oil change was a $15 coupon one so they used conventional 5W-20.
Probably gonna change back to Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 at the 3K mark

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you had an oil analysis done on the engine oil from a Blackstone Lab or similar?
I have not, I'm at a point where I've put over $5K on this car in repairs, when I bought the car for $4K at 35K miles so everything I'm doing myself now is just to be financially efficient. Of course I want the car to last forever if possible which I think i'll at least get it to 125K miles (Currently at ~75K)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have not, I'm at a point where I've put over $5K on this car in repairs, when I bought the car for $4K at 35K miles so everything I'm doing myself now is just to be financially efficient. Of course I want the car to last forever if possible which I think i'll at least get it to 125K miles (Currently at ~75K)
Looks clean.

I’m at 191k.. you are going to get 3-4 times the mileage you have now if you know how to take care of it. Mines still kicking hard!

Additional notes: Cylinder 1 & 3 saw oil in the tubes. Hence, valve cover gasket. That should solve your problem if you had any misfires lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Your engine looks fine, keep changing the oil regularly and your engine shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Good job changing the valve cover gasket. They will and all do start leaking, mainly because these cars last so long. :)
What could you have possibly spent $5 grand on since you owned it? These cars are pretty much bulletproof and you still have very little mileage.
Good luck...

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Your engine looks fine, keep changing the oil regularly and your engine shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Good job changing the valve cover gasket. They will and all do start leaking, mainly because these cars last so long. :)
What could you have possibly spent $5 grand on since you owned it? These cars are pretty much bulletproof and you still have very little mileage.
Good luck...
unfettered rust (fuel and brake lines as one example) can do that kind of $$$ damage, some of the OEM replacement parts are pricey but fit right and proper

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the late reply to all of you guys, ever since I updated my phone to the new android beta I have a lot of issues typing in forums or chats.
Looks clean.

I’m at 191k.. you are going to get 3-4 times the mileage you have now if you know how to take care of it. Mines still kicking hard!

Additional notes: Cylinder 1 & 3 saw oil in the tubes. Hence, valve cover gasket. That should solve your problem if you had any misfires lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never really saw misfires, if anything I always feel like I hear the engine more than I should but I'm sure that's normal, I only saw a bit of oil on the coils back when I changed the spark plugs myself, since then I never really checked it until now and it didn't seem like there was much oil on the coils anymore and the gasket came off pretty easily. The hardest part was removing the valve cover but I figured it out.

Good luck...
Well when I purchased the vehicle it had no engine light (it was cleared) and I knew way less than I know now. So first issue came up before i needed inspection which was the cat converter was done. First mechanics I took it to were friends of a family member which tried to give me cheap solutions. Paid for 2 tuneups in less than 6 months time including belt replacements, paid for inspections 2-3 times until I took it to toyota and they gave me a list of issues to fix. At the end I ended up replacing the cat converter for a large lumpsum, then the engine mounts gave out, so another lump sum, then my radiator went out, another lump sum, then my AC Blower and of course car needed tires, I cheaped out got used rims and cheap tires, recently had to replace them again with Altimax tires etc...
Pretty much the Cat Converter, Tires, Radiator, OEM Engine mounts and blower motor added up to most of my expenses.

To OP, did you apply a dab of good RTV gasket maker at the two areas where the timing chain cover meets the head before installing the cover?
I did. I'm not sure if I added enough though, I thought I was putting to much and after seeing a video they put quite a bit more than I did. But so far no leaks after running the car. I used the Ultra Gray one from Permatex

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,013 Posts
Sorry for the late reply to all of you guys, ever since I updated my phone to the new android beta I have a lot of issues typing in forums or chats.

I never really saw misfires, if anything I always feel like I hear the engine more than I should but I'm sure that's normal, I only saw a bit of oil on the coils back when I changed the spark plugs myself, since then I never really checked it until now and it didn't seem like there was much oil on the coils anymore and the gasket came off pretty easily. The hardest part was removing the valve cover but I figured it out.

Well when I purchased the vehicle it had no engine light (it was cleared) and I knew way less than I know now. So first issue came up before i needed inspection which was the cat converter was done. First mechanics I took it to were friends of a family member which tried to give me cheap solutions. Paid for 2 tuneups in less than 6 months time including belt replacements, paid for inspections 2-3 times until I took it to toyota and they gave me a list of issues to fix. At the end I ended up replacing the cat converter for a large lumpsum, then the engine mounts gave out, so another lump sum, then my radiator went out, another lump sum, then my AC Blower and of course car needed tires, I cheaped out got used rims and cheap tires, recently had to replace them again with Altimax tires etc...
Pretty much the Cat Converter, Tires, Radiator, OEM Engine mounts and blower motor added up to most of my expenses.

I did. I'm not sure if I added enough though, I thought I was putting to much and after seeing a video they put quite a bit more than I did. But so far no leaks after running the car. I used the Ultra Gray one from Permatex
With used cars, it's no longer the case that low mileage engines are any better than high mileage ones. That being said, to minimize the lack of maintenance by any previous owners it takes a bit of time and money to make it decent.

It's unfortunate that you had to endure the cost of a small fortune. But this should always be factored into ones budget. Granted it came early, but at least you aren't looking for a motor or transmission. Those are the big ticket items for sure.

Before my Corolla xrs went to the insurance company, I was dealing with some misfires. Background is, the misfire code began as a P0304. One of the first things I did, was move the coil pack for cylinder 4 to cylinder 1. Reset the light, and it immediately popped again. Only this time, it was P0301 and P0304. When I pulled the plug to cylinder 4, the electrode found it's way into the crankcase. In the end, I bought 2 sets of plugs, a valve cover gasket, and a set of new coil packs. The misfire went away for about a month and then returned. In the end, I never did figure out the issues. As it was totalled after a side swipe accident.

Just be thankful it isn't a replacement vehicle after a wreck. It's more heart breaking especially after hours of time went into building and maintaining your Corolla. After I saw it, I was heart broken. But at the end of the day, nobody was injured.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With used cars, it's no longer the case that low mileage engines are any better than high mileage ones. That being said, to minimize the lack of maintenance by any previous owners it takes a bit of time and money to make it decent.

It's unfortunate that you had to endure the cost of a small fortune. But this should always be factored into ones budget. Granted it came early, but at least you aren't looking for a motor or transmission. Those are the big ticket items for sure.

Before my Corolla xrs went to the insurance company, I was dealing with some misfires. Background is, the misfire code began as a P0304. One of the first things I did, was move the coil pack for cylinder 4 to cylinder 1. Reset the light, and it immediately popped again. Only this time, it was P0301 and P0304. When I pulled the plug to cylinder 4, the electrode found it's way into the crankcase. In the end, I bought 2 sets of plugs, a valve cover gasket, and a set of new coil packs. The misfire went away for about a month and then returned. In the end, I never did figure out the issues. As it was totalled after a side swipe accident.

Just be thankful it isn't a replacement vehicle after a wreck. It's more heart breaking especially after hours of time went into building and maintaining your Corolla. After I saw it, I was heart broken. But at the end of the day, nobody was injured.
100% True, i'm usually happy that I have a car at all and that my first car is one that will take some beating. I'll always still wish I had more knowledge back then, I had passed up getting a Corolla S because it had 110K miles compared to my car that has 74K miles now, but that S model was well maintained.

Also, can I get some input on 2 more things? I'll post a picture of my left shocks from the best angle I can, I can't lift the car yet. It looks like not only is the boot broken but something in there as well?

And 2nd thing, today I noticed my car is making like a swirling noise from the front driver side as I drive anywhere above 30mph. I ruled out engine noise in the only way I know how to... Opening the hood and having someone rev the car in neutral, as well as holding the brakes and gas pedal together. Any idea what it could be? It's a subtle noise so I'm not sure if I should even worry about it.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,013 Posts
100% True, i'm usually happy that I have a car at all and that my first car is one that will take some beating. I'll always still wish I had more knowledge back then, I had passed up getting a Corolla S because it had 110K miles compared to my car that has 74K miles now, but that S model was well maintained.

Also, can I get some input on 2 more things? I'll post a picture of my left shocks from the best angle I can, I can't lift the car yet. It looks like not only is the boot broken but something in there as well?

And 2nd thing, today I noticed my car is making like a swirling noise from the front driver side as I drive anywhere above 30mph. I ruled out engine noise in the only way I know how to... Opening the hood and having someone rev the car in neutral, as well as holding the brakes and gas pedal together. Any idea what it could be? It's a subtle noise so I'm not sure if I should even worry about it.

The boot to the strut tears over time. What you're looking for is signs of leaking and strut travel noises. I can't tell if you just recently drove on a wet road since the top of the fender liner is wet. It looks fine, but take a pic of the strut body towards the knuckle.

As for the swirl noise, we'd need a video to key a better idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The boot to the strut tears over time. What you're looking for is signs of leaking and strut travel noises. I can't tell if you just recently drove on a wet road since the top of the fender liner is wet. It looks fine, but take a pic of the strut body towards the knuckle.

As for the swirl noise, we'd need a video to key a better idea.
Considering how loud cabin noise is in the car I doubt the video would catch the sound. It's not like any sort of "OMG I hear clanking or knocking" type of noise.
I was driving on wet pavement so I couldn't tell if that was the strut leaking or not. However, what's that rusted part right under the rubber boot tha tlooks like if it's cracked?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,013 Posts
Considering how loud cabin noise is in the car I doubt the video would catch the sound. It's not like any sort of "OMG I hear clanking or knocking" type of noise.
I was driving on wet pavement so I couldn't tell if that was the strut leaking or not. However, what's that rusted part right under the rubber boot tha tlooks like if it's cracked?
Upon closer inspection, it is showing signs of leaking. The cap you're referring to is to prevent contaminants from getting inside. Can't tell if it's water or something else.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts