Toyota Nation Forum banner

Question about engine condition

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  75aces 
#1 ·
I just did my Valve Cover Gasket change finally (Found oil on 2 right spark coils, didn't check plugs after replacing).

Just wanted to know if this is sort of a normal engine condition, I've been doing timely oil changes, full synthetic (except for last oil change) but realistically I bought the car from a careless previous owner (3-4 years ago). To me it looks gunky, specially on the cams but I don't really know these things. Can someone give me their input on the condition or if anything looks odd in the pics.

Engineering Auto part Machine Metal Electrical supply
Gas Engineering Camshaft Machine Auto part
Gas Wood Auto part Metal Art

See less See more
#5 ·
You have to remember, it's an engine and it's going to get a little dirty. But that's fine as long as you're changing the oil on time and using a good quality oil (preferably a quality synthetic from any of the major brands...Pennzoil, Mobile 1 (my personal choice), etc)). That'll keep the dirt from building up into anything that could be damaging. A Tiny bit of varnish here or there is normal and will be there unless it's a brand new block lol. Drive it and enjoy it!

#6 ·
have you had an oil analysis done on the engine oil from a Blackstone Lab or similar?

#19 ·
The boot to the strut tears over time. What you're looking for is signs of leaking and strut travel noises. I can't tell if you just recently drove on a wet road since the top of the fender liner is wet. It looks fine, but take a pic of the strut body towards the knuckle.

As for the swirl noise, we'd need a video to key a better idea.
Considering how loud cabin noise is in the car I doubt the video would catch the sound. It's not like any sort of "OMG I hear clanking or knocking" type of noise.
I was driving on wet pavement so I couldn't tell if that was the strut leaking or not. However, what's that rusted part right under the rubber boot tha tlooks like if it's cracked?

#20 ·
Considering how loud cabin noise is in the car I doubt the video would catch the sound. It's not like any sort of "OMG I hear clanking or knocking" type of noise.
I was driving on wet pavement so I couldn't tell if that was the strut leaking or not. However, what's that rusted part right under the rubber boot tha tlooks like if it's cracked?
Upon closer inspection, it is showing signs of leaking. The cap you're referring to is to prevent contaminants from getting inside. Can't tell if it's water or something else.

#10 ·
Your engine looks fine, keep changing the oil regularly and your engine shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Good job changing the valve cover gasket. They will and all do start leaking, mainly because these cars last so long. :)
What could you have possibly spent $5 grand on since you owned it? These cars are pretty much bulletproof and you still have very little mileage.
Good luck...

#12 ·
Your engine looks fine, keep changing the oil regularly and your engine shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Good job changing the valve cover gasket. They will and all do start leaking, mainly because these cars last so long. :)
What could you have possibly spent $5 grand on since you owned it? These cars are pretty much bulletproof and you still have very little mileage.
Good luck...
unfettered rust (fuel and brake lines as one example) can do that kind of $$$ damage, some of the OEM replacement parts are pricey but fit right and proper

#23 ·
I recommend waiting for a deal on the low profile ones. Most cars are super low now. The best one I think is the Daytona long reach low profile which will practically meet almost all situations.

HF no longer has the old school 15-20% off coupons now. Now it’s Inside Track membership. I asked the employees and they said those regular coupons are not offered anymore. Your best bet is to check every holiday week for discounted items. Most items are discounted in waves. Sometimes it’s all lighting, then air tools, then hand tools... etc..

I’m trying to get the long reach low profile one. Right now I have the regular low profile jack. Still good jacks just want better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I recommend waiting for a deal on the low profile ones. Most cars are super low now. The best one I think is the Daytona long reach low profile which will practically meet almost all situations.

HF no longer has the old school 15-20% off coupons now. Now it’s Inside Track membership. I asked the employees and they said those regular coupons are not offered anymore. Your best bet is to check every holiday week for discounted items. Most items are discounted in waves. Sometimes it’s all lighting, then air tools, then hand tools... etc..

I’m trying to get the long reach low profile one. Right now I have the regular low profile jack. Still good jacks just want better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I did see they had a low profile one at $150 and $160 for the 3ton, and a 2ton one at $130.
I'll probably still wait a bit more until I can do a repair that requires the jack though. Considering they're about 80lbs and my car is about 1/4 mile away from my apartment, i doubt I'd be able to constantly carry and store that lol.

#24 ·
You don't need a low profile jack for the Corolla. The ground clearance and jack point has enough room to fit without the assistance of 2x4.

There's sites that still list coupons for HF products. Just gotta search high and low.

Reactions: cb91710
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.