Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, first of all, the mr2 is done. i pretty much did everything in the power primer step by step. i have a k&n filter, the ngk plugs, afc, adj fuel press regulator, boost guage, boost control, custom exh with hks hiper resonator, t3/t4 turbo, tial 38mm w/g, custom made flange, downpipe. basically, everything to get to the 275rwhp mark except for the aftermarket intercooler. basically, i had the car stay a little rich and my plug wires were makin rfi , and i stopped at 14 psi, but the car made 240rwhp, and i cant remember the torque, but it was like 220 something. anyway, if i were drag racing, how much boost can i go up on the stock i/c if i run good fuel, like 100 octane? im talking 1 run, shutting down, opening the engine lid and turning the heat on to cool the car down, waitin about 15-20 minutes, and doin it again? im not sure how strong the stock h/g is, so i dont wanna press my luck. i forgot to mention. the reason i ask this is because when the car was on the dyno and running rich(the first run the car made 98rwhp and was off the graph as far as the a/f ratio)a vacuum line popped off and the boost went up to about 26 psi for a sec or so before they shut down, but the car ran fine with no probs. in fact, the ecu compensated for the fuel perfectly. the a/f stayed exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
with race fuel...u should be able to run 20psi.....but u will and should let the car cool down in between runs.....stock ic will heat soak like crazy....what injectors are u using??....what are u using to tune fuel??......on my setup...t3/t4 with 550s and walboro pump....i ran 14psi on the street......

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
I would not run 20 psi on the stock injectors without:
* 110 octane leaded fuel (Assuming you have no cats)
* ugraded intercooler
* water injection with 40% methanol.

That is how I first started running 20 psi.
I did have an aDJ FPR, but no SAFC at the time.
If you run 20 psi, you are looking for more than 280rwhp and you will not have enough injector to safely do this.

You worry is not the stock head gasket ... it is having enoguh fuel.
I have nearly 200,000 miles on my OEM head gasket and I race at 22-23 psi of boost.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know where this 20psi thing came about. i was asking how much, not can i run 20psi. i dont feel safe runnin that much either. i was wondering if i could run maybe 16 or 18psi for short bursts(drag racing) and with an adequate cool down time in between. i have no cats, they sell 100 oct fuel at the track, i have the adj fpr and an afc. one weird thing i noticed is that once we tuned the afc for low boost, any time we increased the boost, the ecu compensated, but the a/f stayed in exactly the same spot, no matter how much boost we ran

1 - 5 of 5 Posts